As a child my parents emphasized a few very important principles regarding work. They are summarized in the following aphorisms:
- Your work is an act of worship.
- Pursue the goddess of wisdom and the goddess of abundance will pursue you.
- Pursue excellence, ignore success.
- Always do your best, but detach from the outcome.
- The place where you work is an extension of yourself. It is your extended body.
- The key to the progressive realization of worthy goals is the joy that you derive everyday from the work that you do.
As my career broadened into holistic healing, I began to realize that my workplace should embody the principles that went into healing in its broadest sense. I now have two places where I spend most of my time working when I am not on the road: The Chopra Center for Wellbeing in Carlsbad, California; and Deepak Homebase in New York City.
The Chopra Center: A Hub of Healing, Education, and ResearchThe Chopra Center is a place where patients see physicians trained in western scientific principles, but where the doctors are also trained in various aspects of mind-body healing and systems biology. We offer courses for the general public on every aspect of healing and also provide courses approved for Continuing Medical Education (CME) for health professionals and physicians. We also conduct research on the efficacies of the treatment modalities that we employ, including the biological markers of brain and body aging. In summary, the Chopra Center is a place for healing, education, and research.
The aesthetics of the building as well as the architectural environment represent sacred space. My office is a place where the wisdom of the ages is wall-to-wall book shelves from philosophers, scientists, cosmologists, physicians, and healers.
Deepak Homebase: A Thought and Idea LaboratoryDeepak Homebase, on the other hand, is more of a laboratory for ideas that can help us in our personal and social transformation. I conduct workshops and dialogues with thought leaders in this space. The aesthetics of this place is more like a thought and idea laboratory. I engage here with luminaries who share my passion for personal and social transformation and for reaching a critical mass of people (100,000 million), so we can move in a direction for a more peaceful, just, sustainable and healthy world. At Deepak Homebase, we film conversations with leading thinkers. We also create podcasts, host occasional radio shows, and do filming for our own YouTube channel, The Chopra Well. Our hope is to reach a wider and wider audience, which we manage to do fairly well. Our goal here is to inspire and motivate people in the areas of self-awareness, self-reflection, transcendence, conscious choice making, and accessing higher consciousness. If we could summarize all of that in one phrase, it would be Love in Action.
The two places that we have created, one for healing, education, and research and the second, for thought leadership and love in action esthetically portray these motifs.
Learn about the Chopra Center's Workplace Wellbeing Programs
- Are stress and work load preventing your team members from staying engaged and communicating effectively?
- Do your employees lack the inspiration, energy, and motivation needed to reach new levels of productivity and success?
- Would you like to integrate long-term wellness solutions to decrease absenteeism, lower healthcare expenses, and improve your bottom line?