As recent research shows:
• Turmeric has a protective effect on the liver and can help reduce elevated blood cholesterol levels.
• In the treatment of arthritis, turmeric, when used alone or in combination with other herbs, can reduce pain and stiffness.
• Several studies in animals have demonstrated that turmeric can prevent or inhibit the development of certain cancer cells.
• Turmeric has a soothing effect on the digestive system and can help reduce the risk of ulcers due to stress or medication.
• As a natural antibiotic agent, turmeric can inhibit the growth of bacteria, yeast, and viruses.
One of the primary active ingredients in turmeric is curcumin, which contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. As researchers have found, curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body, but a chemical known as piperine in black pepper can increase the amount of curcumin your body can absorb. Turmeric and pepper are components of most curry powder blends, and you can enjoy the benefits of this natural healing ingredient in soups, sautéed vegetables, and other delicious dishes.
Simple Curry Masala
Here is an easy curry recipe that you can make at home.
2 tablespoons ghee
1 cup leeks or white onions
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 large finely chopped ripe tomato
2 inch finely chopped fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or tamari sauce
Sauté the onions and ginger in ghee. Add spices and tomato. Sauté for one minute. Add the Bragg Liquid Aminos or tamari sauce and simmer for two minutes.
This sauce can be used with many vegetable combinations, such as sweet potatoes, carrots, or cauliflower. Simply sauté 2-3 cups of your favorite vegetable in a skillet with the curry masala sauce.
Serve with rice.
If you are interested in learning more about healing herbs and other holistic health practices that can transform your life and your health, explore our Perfect Health Ayurvedic Lifestyle immersion workshop. Experience daily rejuvenating massages, learn about your personal dosha, and gain skills that you can incorporate into your daily life today.