Mindfulness can help you pray intentionally. The meditative practice of acknowledgment and acceptance is intricately related to prayer. In fact, prayer is a type of mindful activity that allows you to focus intently on forming a deeper, more intimate connection with divine.
No matter your faith, here are six steps to guide your mindful prayer.
1. AcknowledgeWhen you first begin your prayer, you can start by acknowledging divinity within you and around you. Are you invoking an ascended master, the energy of the Earth, or your highest self? You may know exactly who you want to invoke, or you may call to the highest vibrations. There is no right or wrong so feel free to communicate with any source that calls to you. Reflect on how divinity already resides in you. It may manifest as love, intuition, creativity, or joy.
2. Practice GratitudeStarting your prayer with gratitude allows you to feel aligned. There is always something to be grateful for—from the smallest to the largest wins, you have something to appreciate and something to be proud of. For example, you can practice gratitude for the roof over your head, the clothes on your back, or the family and friends in your life.
Appreciate the blessings that you know are on the way as well. Open your heart and express your deepest gratitude with joy and humbleness. Celebrate the unfolding of your dreams as a process. Tap into the energy of excitement and let the momentum take you forward.
Thank Divinity, whether it’s an angel or the energy of love that you’re communicating with, for guiding you and protecting you. Express gratitude for the signs, synchronicities, and messages you have been receiving. Feel the vibration of gratitude in your heart.
3. Practice AcceptanceAcceptance creates space and ease for new possibilities. During your prayer, reflect on how you can release resistance—even just for today. Consider how your current situation might be of your highest good. How are things working out for your best interest? What might you have to learn from this experience?
Keep in mind that acceptance is not about taking the blame for your current situation. It is also not about giving up on your desires or change. You’re still accountable for how you feel and react, but you are making peace with your present so that you aren’t fighting yourself for your past, or hurrying into the future. By anchoring into the present moment, you aren’t missing out on the gifts that this day brings you. Make a commitment to openly receive the lessons, messages, and growth that the universe is delivering to you.
4. Set IntentionsIntentions create an imprint for reality. While connecting with the divine:
- Ask for help and guidance in any way you may need it.
- Visualize who you want to be.
- Affirm how you would like to feel.
- Ask for the support you need. There is no limit to the help you can receive.
- Ask for your mind to be illuminated, your body to be supported, and your soul to be enlightened.
5. SurrenderYou may receive exactly what you ask for or even something better. Be open to the possibilities. Trust the journey and trust that you will be guided. Relinquish the idea of safety.
Often you may come to prayer with the idea that you’ll be sheltered. However, the only safety that can arise is from your ability to embrace the unknown. Faith is a muscle that you can build up over time with practice. If you think you can’t surrender, here’s a prayer by author Tosha Silver, in her book Change Me Prayers:
“Change me Divine Beloved into one who wants what You want for me. Let me trust that my needs will always be met in the Highest way when I allow You to guide me.”
6. Try Energy HealingPrayer does not have to be based on the spoken word. You can also exchange from the divine through energy. For example, you can try the following exercise:
- Visualize white light flowing from above you, through you, and anchoring you into Earth.
- Welcome the energy to heal your mind, body, and soul. You may notice tingling, warmth, coolness, or simply feeling supported.
- Take at least five minutes to receive information, downloads, and love. Know that this energy is aligning you with your truest intentions.
Lissa Rankin, author of Mind Over Medicine, sums up this mindful process as she writes, “But if you express gratitude for what you have, acknowledge the unmet desires you yearn for, and then turn it all over to Divine Will, you will find peace.”
Find inner peace 24/7. Download the Chopra App for personalized well-being guidance you can access whenever you need it.