Summertime conjures up images of ice cream cones, neighborhood swimming pools, family vacations, and beach bonfires. The rhythm of longer, warmer days makes summer the favorite season for many. Difficult decisions like Pool or beach? Strawberry or coconut popsicle? BBQ or picnic? may be at the forefront of your mind.
While the summer may be filled with all kinds of exciting and fun-filled events, the energy of summer can also sweep you away. Summertime is Pitta season, meaning that the elements of fire and water are dominant this time of year, and the grounding element of earth and the cooling elements of air and space may be more passive than normal. This typically invites more spontaneity and go-with-the-flow behavior, which has its pros and cons. On the one hand, this makes summer festivities celebratory and fun, on the other hand, it makes it difficult to find the time and space to slow down and recharge.
Since summer schedules are often busy—wanting to get outdoors and attend the beach days, parties, and neighborhood festivities—it’s a good idea to carve out some time for quiet relaxation, too. Only when you leave yourself with time to unwind, will you be able to recharge and find balance.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the season’s activities and energy, try this meditation to cool you off and calm your mind, inspired by the element of water. If you take the time to pause your busy summer schedule to slow down and tune into yourself, you gift yourself the opportunity to recharge and return to the summertime fun feeling energized, centered, and balanced.
A Guided Meditation for Summer
Try this quick and easy 10-minute meditation exercise to help you slow down and rejuvenate.
- Find a comfortable seated position—it can be in your favorite chair or on a pillow on the floor. Since it is summer, try finding a cozy spot outside in the shade so you can enjoy the fresh air during your meditation.
- Close your eyes and take five deep breaths, inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling slowly through your mouth with an audible HA sound. With each breath, notice your body begin to relax.
- Now imagine you are sitting outside, and the sun is shining strong overhead. Feel the sunshine begin to warm you up one body part at a time, starting with your toes, then up your legs, hips, torso, shoulders, arms, neck, face, and finally the crown of your head. Move slowly, noticing the sun’s warmth cover one body part at a time.
- Notice how it feels to be covered by the sun’s warmth.
- Now visualize a body of water in front of you—it could be a lake, the ocean, a river, a swimming pool, etc. You stand up and over the body of water, take a deep inhale, and dive in. Notice how the water feels on your face and on your skin.
- Notice the temperature of the water and the sensations you feel as you dive deeper into the water. Watch yourself continue to dive deeper and deeper and deeper. Pay attention to how it feels to keep diving deeper into the water.
- Then you start to ascend and come up to the surface for just enough time to get another deep breath of air, then you dive back in. Repeat this cycle several times in your mind—surfacing, breathing, and descending again.
- After a few minutes or when you feel ready to get out of the water, start to surface again, this time finding your way to dry land.
- Notice your transition of slowly getting out of the water: The cool air hitting your skin, the cool earth under your feet. As you walk, notice any sounds, smells, or tastes.
- Notice the sun showing up to warm you up—your face, your arms, your entire body. Noticing the sun’s heat dry you off from head to toe.
- When you’re completely dry, bring awareness back to your breath, slow inhales and exhales through the nose.
- Take one more deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. Gently open your eyes and lean into the calmness in your mind and body.
As you return to whatever summer plans may be next on the agenda, take some of the balanced energy that you created with you into the rest of your day.
Transform negative emotions and feelings into joy and happiness with our Primordial Sound Meditation Online Course. Learn More Here.