Looking for a vegetarian chili recipe? We've got you covered! Try our hearty, flavorful option tonight.
Great Northern beans rinsed and soaked overnight.
- ½ cup Great Northern beans, rinsed and soaked overnight in water
- 2 to 6 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon ghee* or olive oil
- ½ cup leeks or onions, chopped
- 1 Anaheim diced mild chili, canned or freshly roasted, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- ½ cup washed, fresh spinach
- ½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup cubed smoked chicken or turkey breast (optional)
- Drain the soaked beans and place in a soup pot with the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a low, rolling boil until the beans are tender.
- Heat the ghee in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the leek, chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and coriander.
- If you are using ground turkey, add it now. Sauté for 3 minutes, then add the carrots and the tomatoes. If you are using smoked poultry or sausage, add it now. Simmer this mixture for 5 to 7 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Add the zucchini during the last 2 minutes.
- When the beans are almost tender, add the vegetable mixture to the soup pot.
- Stir in the spinach and corn. Continue to simmer another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro.
Nutritional Facts Per 1-cup serving, without optional meat
- Calories 364
- Total fat 4.2
- Saturated fat 0.5
- Carbohydrates 53.2g
- Protein 28.0g
- Serves 2
- Prep 1h 45m
- Cook 45m
- Total Time 2h 30m
Share This Article