As always, the health, safety, and well-being of our community is our top priority. Therefore, we are implementing policies for our live events that will reduce the risk of infection for our guests as well as our staff. As of September 15th, all staff and guests at Chopra events are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 prior to arrival. This policy is in regard to Chopra Global's large destination retreats and does not pertain to smaller retreats and programs operated at partner properties, including the Chopra Health Retreat at CIVANA.
In addition, per the CDC guidelines, we will use all the preventive strategies available to prevent on-site transmission, including requiring masks be worn for all indoor activities, frequent sanitizing, and practicing social distancing as much as possible. We will be screening employees and guests for symptoms that may be related to COVID infection and in the event of resultant concerns, will prohibit participation until testing can be done.
Documentation of vaccination is required in the form of the original vaccination card or a printed copy of the vaccination card, along with an appropriate ID matching the name displayed on the card. Documentation must show receipt of all generally suggested doses of the applicable vaccine no less than two (2) weeks prior to the start of the applicable event, including any boosters or other re-vaccinations suggested due to the passage of time. Due to the changing nature of this pandemic, we will update our policy as needed.
Upon your arrival we will be implementing the following procedures:
- Verification of vaccination
- Temperature check
- Guest execution of Covid-19 waiver with attestation of statements pertaining to absence of any Covid-19 symptoms or risk factors
COVID-19 policies vary at each of our retreat properties. These policies are available at the links below:
Chopra Health Retreat at CIVANA Wellness Resort and Spa
To ensure the safety of all retreat guests, you are required to produce COVID-19 vaccination documentation or a negative COVID-19 PCR test result prior to and within five (5) days of your arrival. If you are providing vaccination documentation, please ensure that your card shows three (3) weeks from full vaccination. If you are providing negative COVID-19 PCR test results, testing must have been conducted within seven (7) days of arrival via an at home testing kit or a testing center. In the event you arrive without the requisite proof of vaccination or negative test results, you will not be allowed to participate in the program and no refund or credit will be provided.
Proof of a vaccination or negative test results for the Chopra Health Retreat should be digitally sent to the medical team via secure upload (instructions will be sent to you via email - if you have not received already).
Here are some suggestions for testing services:
Get updates on our Covid-19 policies here and learn more about CIVANA’s safety standards and procedures here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why has Chopra made the decision to require COVID-19 vaccination for all in-person retreat attendees and staff members?
- Chopra Global has always been at the forefront of health and well-being, applying the wisdom of ancient healing systems and integrating this with modern science. In the context of the current COVID-19 pandemic, it is imperative that we have a spiritual perspective, yet use modern science to guide us. While we continue to use lifestyle practices to maximize our potential for healing, we can also accept the benefits of modern medicine when needed. There is no contradiction here. The new policy is based on the fact that, at the current time, transmissibility of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, regardless of the variant, remains higher among unvaccinated individuals than vaccinated individuals. Vaccines can save lives and the evidence is clear that people that are vaccinated against COVID-19 are less likely to contract the virus and, in the event they do, experience less severe symptoms and suffer lower death and hospitalization rates.
What sources are you basing this decision on?
- Chopra's Chief Medical Officer stays current on all of the medical literature and scientific discussions regarding the current COVID-19 pandemic. Using CDC guidelines, along with recommendations from a range of medical experts in the field of immunology and public health, recommendations are made on company policies.
What are Deepak's thoughts on this new policy?
When does this policy go into effect?
- This policy goes into effect on September 15th, 2021 and impacts all live events (other than Chopra Health Retreats at CIVANA Wellness Resort & Spa) following such date. This gives everyone sufficient time from this announcement to be considered “fully vaccinated” (two weeks after their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, or two weeks past a single Johnson & Johnson dose) in advance of the next event following the policy effective date.
How long is this policy in place for? Will you always require a vaccination to attend a retreat?
- We are currently implementing policies for our live events that will reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection for our guests as well as our staff. As time passes and infection rates increase or decline or as medical recommendations evolve, we will update our policy as needed. For the avoidance of doubt, the current policy will stay in place until it is clear that it is safe to change it.
How will I provide my proof of vaccination for my Chopra retreat?
- During registration at events, guests will be required to show documentation of vaccination in the form of an original vaccination card or a printed copy of such vaccination card, along with an appropriate ID matching the name displayed on the card. Documentation must show receipt of all generally suggested doses of the applicable vaccine no less than two (2) weeks prior to the start of the event, including any boosters or other re-vaccinations suggested due to the passage of time.
I was vaccinated but can't find my card. What should I do?
- If you did not receive a vaccination card or you lost it, you should first contact your vaccination provider. If you are unsuccessful in obtaining proof of vaccination from your provider, you should reach out to your state health department’s immunization information system (IIS). All vaccination providers must report COVID-19 vaccinations to the applicable IIS. You can find state IIS information on the CDC website. State health departments will either email or mail a copy of your vaccination card, although it may take several weeks for you to receive it.
Will documentation of a booster shot be required in addition to full vaccination?
- Documentation must show receipt of all generally suggested doses of the applicable vaccine no less than two (2) weeks prior to the start of the applicable event, including any boosters or other re-vaccinations suggested due to the passage of time.
Will I still need to wear a mask at the retreat? Why?
- Yes, we are still requiring masks be worn indoors at our events. At this time there is evidence of the potential for transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, including both the Delta and Omicron variants, among vaccinated people. This risk is significantly reduced with masks, especially when it is challenging to maintain 6 feet of distance.
What are you doing to prevent asymptomatic spread of COVID-19?
- According to the most recent data, the transmission of all variants is higher in unvaccinated people than in vaccinated people, which is why we are, first and foremost, requiring staff and guests to be fully vaccinated. In the case of vaccinated people who may be carrying the virus but are asymptomatic, although there is a risk of transmission, this risk can be significantly reduced by the additional precautions we are taking at events including requiring attendees to wear masks while indoors, promoting social distancing and implementing enhanced sanitation procedures.
Why does a negative COVID test result not suffice for admission to a Chopra retreat?
- Due to the risk of false negatives in testing and the potential for testing to occur prior to infection (or to the ability to detect the virus in case of infection), we believe the best way to protect our staff and guests is to require vaccination for attendance. In addition, in case of exposure at or prior to an event, although vaccinated individuals can transmit infection, including the new Omicron variant, they are less likely to do so than unvaccinated individuals. Please note that we will be screening employees and guests at events for symptoms that may be related to COVID infection and in the event of resultant concerns, prohibiting participation until testing can be done.
I already had COVID-19 so chose to not receive vaccination. Would I still need to get vaccinated to attend a Chopra retreat?
- Data will continue to emerge, however at this time it has been shown that individuals with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection can still become reinfected with the virus. And although previous infection does provide some protection against reinfection, the presence of antibody in the blood does not predict the level of immunity. It remains uncertain to what degree and for how long individuals with antibodies are protected against re-infection with SARS-CoV-2, or what concentration of antibodies may be needed to provide such protection or prevent transmission. In addition, after initial infection, the chance of reinfection goes down considerably if vaccinated.
I registered for my retreat prior to this policy change (8/19/2021). Why you have made this change now?
- Due to the changing nature of the current pandemic in general, and the recent increase in infection rates due to more contagious and transmissible strains of the virus, we have modified our requirements to maximize the safety of our guests and staff. We expect this policy to continue to evolve as time passes and infection rates increase or decline or as medical recommendations change.
My question isn't listed here. Who can I ask?
- If your question was not answered by our FAQs, please reach out to your Chopra Program Consultant. You may reach out to them directly via email or phone. If you cannot locate your Program Consultant's contact information, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-736-6895.