Primordial Sound Meditation Online Teacher Training Certification Program Syllabus
Teacher Training Description
The Primordial Sound Meditation Certification Program is an intensive immersion into the ancient teachings of meditation as translated by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon.
The Certification Program continues where the Enrichment Program leaves off, with additional in-depth sessions and required testing and evaluations that will enable you to become a Certified Primordial Sound Meditation Instructor. You will deepen your personal meditation practice while gaining the confidence and skills to teach meditation to others.
In the Certification Program, participants will learn how to teach the Primordial Sound Meditation classes. The Certification Program topics will include advanced content, the Primordial Sound mantras, the Personal Instruction Procedure, the art of teaching, public speaking skills, methods for facilitating group meditations and workshops, teaching to specialty groups, and marketing and business best practices. Certification Program participants will also take part in exclusive live webinars with Advisory Board members and have access to certified instructor resources and benefits. Participants will be tested and evaluated on their knowledge of the lesson content and group presentations.
Dr. Deepak Chopra, Founder of The Chopra Foundation and Co-Founder of The Chopra Center for Wellbeing, and Roger Gabriel, a Chopra Center Advisory Board member and Master Educator, will instruct you in the online teacher training. They will be joined by Pandit Vamadeva Shastri (Dr. David Frawley), Yogini Shambhavi, Manjula Nadarajah, Teresa Long, Chopra Center Educators and Certified Instructors.
Starting the Teacher Training
Once the program begins on the scheduled start date, its contents will be released by session. Participants will then log into the sessions remotely as they are released throughout the duration of the program. The Certification Program is a 12-week course.
The program includes content in written, audio and video formats. Participants will have lifetime access to the online program content.
Participants should purchase these books prior to the start of the teacher training. The books listed below can be ordered from Amazon or other retailers.
We also encourage participants to begin reading these books as soon as they enroll.
The books that are recommended are:
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon
- Mantra Yoga and Primal Sound: Secret of Seed (Bija) Mantras by Dr. David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastri)
- Shankara’s Crest Jewel of Discrimination as translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood
- The Upanishads as translated by Eknath Easwaran
- The Bhagavad Gita as translated by Eknath Easwaran
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali as translated by Alistair Shearer
- Perfect Health by Deepak Chopra
The content in these books will be explained, referenced, and discussed during the teacher training. We suggest purchasing these books either in written and/or audio formats. Required reading is not included in teacher training tuition.
Requirements for Certificate of Completion
- Daily practice of the Primordial Sound Meditation technique for at least three months prior to the start of the scheduled teacher training.
- Experience one of the Chopra Center’s meditation retreats, either, Seduction of Spirit, Silent Awakenings or Infinite Possibilities, as a participant. Participants must have either completed one of the meditation retreats within three years of enrollment date, or must complete one of the retreats within 12 months of the Certification Program.
- Participation in and completion of each required online session within the Primordial Sound Meditation teacher training.
- Participation in and completion of conference calls (online and/or phone) with assigned groups and teacher training faculty.
- Completion of online testing and achievement of a passing score. Online testing includes interactive activities, verbal presentations, and answering test questions. See Testing Requirements below for details.
- Certification is official upon satisfactory completion of requirements. All required testing must be completed and passed.
- Successfully complete the Primordial Sound Meditation teacher training content, which includes watching all the videos, reading all the books and materials, listening to the live calls, and participating in the groups.
- Complete and pass an online, closed-book test with a grade of 85% or higher. The online test is in the form of multiple choice, matching, and true/false questions.
- Complete and pass all verbal presentation evaluations.
- Complete and pass the Personal Instructional Procedure evaluation.
Testing outlines will be provided prior to the start of the scheduled Certification Program. All testing will be conducted online. The verbal presentation evaluations and Personal Procedure evaluations will be facilitated and completed through video conferencing using a web camera, microphone, and speakers (see Basic Technical Requirements below).
An average of six to seven hours a week in addition to your twice-daily Primordial Sound Meditation practice is required to complete the commitments listed below. During the duration of the teacher training, participants will need to commit time to the following:
- Read required books
- Read all written content within each session, including resources
- Listen to audio content
- View video content
- Complete the Daily Practices for each session
- Participate in community discussion forums
- Participate in optional Facebook Groups (these are closed groups)
- Attend and participate in live Q&A calls in each session (live and/or recorded)
- Meet with assigned, interactive discussion groups via video conferencing during scheduled times (live and/or recorded)
- Integrate information and practices
- Review additional resources for each session
- Prepare verbal presentations for lessons
- Practice teach presentations prior to scheduled evaluation and feedback sessions
- Prepare and practice for the Personal Instruction Procedure evaluation
- Prepare for the online test
Community Discussion Forums
At the start of the Certification Program, there will be community discussion forums for participants to interact with each other and communicate with Chopra Center staff and instructors. Discussion forums are a way to create community among all the participants worldwide. The community discussion forums will be open and active only for the duration of the scheduled dates of the Certification Program. The community discussion forums will close at the end of the program.
Prior to the Certification Program, you will receive an invitation to a closed-group Facebook community. A link will be emailed to participants when available. We encourage participants to connect with one another through these pages.
Participants will be divided into groups and will have an assigned teacher training faculty member, who is a Chopra Center certified instructor. The teacher training faculty member will facilitate groups and answer participant questions. The groups are highly interactive and will discuss the content of the sessions. The participant groups will interact via online conferencing using video and/or phone. Group sessions are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details regarding scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email during the teacher training.
Live Q&A Calls
Each session in the Certification Program will include one to two live Q&A calls. The live Q&A calls are an opportunity for participants to ask the primary educators teaching a session questions about the content within that session. Participants will be asked to post questions in the community forum before each of the scheduled live calls. The live Q&A calls are generally scheduled on a specific weekday at 12:00 pm (Pacific time). However, please note that live Q&A calls may be scheduled at other times and days. A schedule with the teleconference instructions will be provided before the start of the program. Live calls are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled calls.
Basic Technical Requirements
The basic equipment needed for the online course is a computer or mobile device, internet access, microphone, speakers, and web camera. The live Q&A calls can also be accessed by phone.
The Certification Program is highly interactive and engaging. In the Primordial Sound Meditation Online Certification Program, you can look forward to:
Session One: Welcome to the Certification Program and The Art of Teaching
- Overview of the course – learn what you can expect from this transformational experience.
- Begin creating and practicing personalized presentations of the course material – with expert support and guidance.
- Learn practical teaching methods to facilitate classes of all sizes and levels – including techniques for beginning, intermediate, and advanced meditators in private, group, and virtual formats.
- Put public speaking and presentation techniques to work for you – including confidence-boosters that really work.
- Discover how to help students easily overcome common challenges on the meditation path – and how to respond to commonly asked student questions as a compassionate, competent professional.
Session Two: Primordial Sound Meditation Personal Instruction
- Learn to instruct others – on how to use their own Primordial Sound mantra through a sacred process.
- Explore the unique energy of Shakti mantras – and discover how to use them to enhance any meditation practice.
Session Three: Advanced Philosophy
- Learn about the four paths of yoga – and how to integrate them into your life.
- Expand your knowledge of the Bhagavad Gita – and its important role in Vedic philosophy and teachings.
- Delve deeper into the chakras – to awaken these energy centers and share their purpose and benefits with others.
Session Four: Evaluating and Testing
- Through personalized presentations, demonstrate your mastery of the course materials – with guidance from Chopra Center master educators.
- Demonstrate your ability to carry out the Personal Instruction Procedure – including memorization and presentation of the Shanti mantra.
- Participate in evaluations that measure your understanding of the teacher training materials – and receive helpful guidance and feedback from Chopra Center teacher training faculty members.
- Complete and pass online test questions – to review, integrate, and demonstrate your understanding of the material on a practical level.
Session Five: The Primordial Sound Mantras
- Understand the lineage of mantra meditation – to fully understand the purpose of mantras and how to easily articulate this information to your students.
- Learn basic Sanskrit terms – to deepen your understanding of Vedic philosophy and practice.
- Master the proper pronunciation of all 108 Primordial Sound mantras – so that they become natural and effortless for you to use in your own practice as well as with others.
- Understand the origins of the Primordial Sound mantras – and how they are chosen for each individual.
Session Six: Teaching Specialty Groups
- Discover unique methods for teaching specialty groups – how to share these teachings in specific settings.
- Be trained in teaching meditation and lifestyle practices – to a variety of different groups such as children, teens, people in the workplace, members of the military, and more.
Session Seven: Teacher Resources and Business Development
- Gain lifetime access to a wealth of Teacher Resources to support your practice – exclusively for Chopra Center certified instructors.
- Participate in the various affiliate and commission opportunities – extended to Chopra Center certified instructors.
- Access an exclusive portal – to download teaching materials and marketing templates.
- Learn best practices – to inspire you on your teaching path.
- Receive support in business development practices – to help you grow your teaching practice.
Session Eight: Graduation
- Celebrate the completion of your journey to become a Chopra Center certified instructor – and afterwards, receive a beautiful certificate to honor your completion and achievement.
Each session will include guided meditations, yoga and pranayama practices, reflection questions, student frequently asked questions, resources, and Q&A webinars with Chopra Center Educators.
Note: Information is subject to change.