Primordial Sound Meditation Certification Program Course Syllabus
Teacher Training Overview
The Primordial Sound Meditation Certification Program is an intensive immersion into the ancient teachings of meditation as translated by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon.
The Certification Program continues where the Enrichment Program leaves off, with additional in-depth sessions and required testing and evaluations that will enable you to become a certified Primordial Sound Meditation instructor. You will deepen your personal meditation practice while gaining the confidence and skills to teach meditation to others.
In the Certification Program, you will learn how to teach the Primordial Sound Meditation classes. The Certification Program topics will include advanced content, the Primordial Sound mantras, the Personal Instruction Procedure, the art of teaching, public speaking skills, methods for facilitating group meditations and workshops, teaching to specialty groups, and marketing and business best practices. You will also take part in exclusive live webinars with Advisory Board members and have access to certified instructor resources and benefits. In addition, you will be tested and evaluated on your knowledge of the lesson content and group presentations.
Dr. Deepak Chopra, founder of the Chopra Foundation and co-founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing; and Roger Gabriel, a Chopra Center lead educator and Advisory Board member, will instruct you in the online teacher training. They will be joined by Pandit Vamadeva Shastri (Dr. David Frawley), Yogini Shambhavi, Manjula Nadarajah, Teresa Long, and other Chopra Center certified instructors.
The Certification Program is an approximately 14-week course that includes content in written, audio, and video formats. Each session of the Certification Program includes guided meditations, yoga and pranayama practices, reflection questions, student frequently asked questions, resources, and live Q&A calls and video conferences with Chopra Center educators.
Starting the Certification Program
Once the online program begins on the scheduled start date, you will be able to log on and access the program remotely. Each session of the program will be released according to a schedule included with the program.
Here is the list of the books you need to purchase before the start of the Certification Program. We encourage you to begin reading these books as soon as you enroll.
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon
- Mantra Yoga and Primal Sound: Secret of Seed (Bija) Mantras by Dr. David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastri)
- Shankara’s Crest Jewel of Discrimination as translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood
- The Upanishads as translated by Eknath Easwaran
- The Bhagavad Gita as translated by Eknath Easwaran
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali as translated by Alistair Shearer
- Perfect Health by Deepak Chopra
The content in these books will be explained, referenced, and discussed during the teacher training. We suggest purchasing these books either in written and/or audio formats. Required reading is not included in the Certification Program tuition.
Requirements for Certificate of Completion
- Daily practice of the Primordial Sound Meditation technique for at least three months before the start of the Certification Program.
- Participation in and completion of each required online session within the Primordial Sound Meditation Certification Program.
- Participation in and completion of conference calls (online and/or phone) with assigned groups and teacher training faculty.
- Completion of online testing and achievement of a passing score. Online testing includes interactive activities, verbal presentations, and answering test questions. See Testing Requirements below for details.
- Certification is official upon satisfactory completion of requirements. All required testing must be completed and passed.
- Successfully complete the Primordial Sound Meditation teacher training content, which includes watching all the videos, reading all the books and materials, listening to the live calls, and participating in the group sessions.
- Complete and pass an online, closed-book test with a grade of 85% or higher. The online test is in the form of multiple choice, matching, and true/false questions.
- Complete and pass all verbal presentation evaluations.
- Complete and pass the Personal Instructional Procedure evaluation.
Testing outlines will be provided before the start of the scheduled Certification Program. All testing will be conducted online. The verbal presentation evaluations and Personal Procedure evaluations will be facilitated and completed through video conferencing using a web camera, microphone, and speakers (see Basic Technical Requirements below).
Throughout the teacher training, you will need to commit time to complete the following:
- Read required books.
- Read all written content within each session, including resources.
- Listen to audio content.
- View video content.
- Complete the Daily Practices for each session.
- Participate in community discussion forums.
- Participate in an optional private Facebook group.
- Attend and participate in live Q&A calls for each session (recordings will be available if you’re unable to attend live).
- Meet with assigned, interactive discussion groups via video conferencing during scheduled times (recordings will be available if you’re unable to attend live).
- Integrate information and practices.
- Review additional resources for each session.
- Prepare verbal presentations for lessons.
- Practice teach presentations before scheduled evaluation and feedback sessions.
- Prepare and practice for the Personal Instruction Procedure evaluation.
- Prepare for the online test.
Completing these commitments will require an average of six to seven hours per week, in addition to your twice-daily Primordial Sound Meditation practice.
The Certification Program includes a Community Forum for participants to interact with each other and communicate with Chopra Center staff members and instructors. It is a way to create community among all the participants worldwide. The Community Forum will be open and active only for the duration of the scheduled dates of the Certification Program. The Community Forum will close at the end of the program; you will still be able review the previously posted discussions.
Once the Certification Program begins, you will receive an email invitation to a closed-group Facebook community. We encourage participants to connect with one another through these pages.
Participants will be divided into groups and will have an assigned teacher training faculty member who is a Chopra Center certified instructor. The teacher training faculty member will facilitate groups and answer participant questions. The groups will be highly interactive and will discuss the content of the sessions. The participant groups will interact via online conferencing using video and/or phone.
The group sessions will be recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details regarding scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email during the teacher training.
There will be four study group sessions during the Certification Program. Each study group session will focus on one specific Primordial Sound Meditation lesson, and we will review and discuss each of the key points within that lesson. This is an opportunity to ask teacher training faculty members questions you may have about specific topics in each lesson in preparation for your presentation evaluations. The study groups will interact via online conferencing using video and/or phone.
The study group sessions will be recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details regarding scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email during the teacher training.
The group meditation sessions are an opportunity for participants from around the world to connect with each other in the stillness and silence of meditation. Each meditation strengthens your practice, and even experienced meditators can learn from the guidance and intention settings of a group meditation. The group meditations will also help you stay motivated and engaged in your meditation practice.
In these sessions, the meditation time will be 30 minutes, and we will include some time at the beginning and at the end to connect with each other. The meditation groups will meet via online conferencing using video and/or phone.
The group meditation sessions will be recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details regarding scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email during the teacher training.
Live Q&A Calls
Each session in the Certification Program will include one to two live Q&A calls. The live Q&A calls are an opportunity for participants to ask the primary educators teaching a session questions about the content within that session. Participants will be asked to post questions in the Community Forum before each of the scheduled live calls.
The live Q&A calls are generally scheduled on a specific weekday at 12 pm (Pacific time). However, please note that live Q&A calls may be scheduled at other times. A schedule with the teleconference instructions will be provided before the start of the program. Live calls are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled calls.
Basic Technical Requirements
The basic equipment needed for the online course is a computer or mobile device, internet access, microphone, speakers, and web camera. The live Q&A calls can also be accessed by phone.
Session One: Welcome to the Certification Program and The Art of Teaching
- Overview of the course – learn what you can expect from this transformational experience.
- Begin creating and practicing personalized presentations of the course material – with expert support and guidance.
- Learn practical teaching methods to facilitate classes of all sizes and levels – including techniques for beginning, intermediate, and advanced meditators in private, group, and virtual formats.
- Put public speaking and presentation techniques to work for you – including confidence boosters that really work.
- Discover how to help students easily overcome common challenges on the meditation path – and how to respond to commonly asked student questions as a compassionate, competent professional.
Session Two: Primordial Sound Meditation Personal Instruction
- Learn to instruct others – including how to teach your students their own Primordial Sound mantra and how to use it naturally and correctly.
- Discover how to organize the Personal Instruction Procedure – to ensure that your students have the best experience possible.
- Explore the meaning and essence of a Shanti mantra chant – a mantra chant that comes from the Upanishads that you will learn and recite to students during the personal instruction of Primordial Sound Meditation.
Session Three: Evaluating and Testing
- Through personalized presentations, demonstrate your mastery of the course materials – with guidance from Chopra Center educators.
- Demonstrate your ability to carry out the Personal Instruction Procedure – including memorization and presentation of the Shanti mantra chant.
- Participate in evaluations that measure your understanding of the teacher training materials – and receive helpful guidance and feedback from Chopra Center teacher training faculty members.
- Complete and pass online test questions – to review, integrate, and demonstrate your understanding of the material on a practical level.
Session Four: Teaching Specialty Groups and Meditation Studies
- Discover unique methods for teaching specialty groups – learning how to share these teachings in specific settings.
- Receive training in teaching meditation and lifestyle practices – to a variety of different groups, including children, teens, people in the workplace, members of the military, and others.
- Review the most recent meditation research and studies – to expand your awareness of the benefits of meditation for physical health and emotional well-being.
Session Five: Advanced Philosophy
- Learn about the four paths of yoga – and how to integrate them into your life.
- Expand your knowledge of the Bhagavad Gita – and its important role in Vedic philosophy and teachings.
- Delve deeper into the chakras – to awaken these energy centers and share their purpose and benefits with others.
Session Six: The Primordial Sound Mantras
- Understand the lineage of mantra meditation – to fully understand the purpose of mantras and how to easily articulate this information to your students.
- Learn basic Sanskrit terms – to deepen your understanding of Vedic philosophy and practice.
- Master the proper pronunciation of all 108 Primordial Sound mantras – so that they become natural and effortless for you to use in your own practice as well as with others.
- Understand the origins of the Primordial Sound mantras – and how they are chosen for each individual.
Session Seven: Teacher Resources and Business Development
- Gain access to a wealth of Teacher Resources to support your practice – exclusively for Chopra Center certified instructors.
- Learn how to participate in a variety of affiliate and commission opportunities – extended to Chopra Center certified instructors.
- Access an exclusive teachers’ portal – to download valuable teaching materials and marketing templates.
- Learn best practices – to inspire you on your teaching path.
- Receive support in business development practices – to help you grow your teaching practice.
Session Eight: The Conclusion of the Certification Program and Graduation
- Reflect on everything you’ve learned in the program – and receive words of wisdom on your next steps on the teachers’ path from the teachers who have guided you along the way, including Deepak Chopra, Roger Gabriel, and other Chopra Center educators.
- Celebrate the completion of your journey to become a Chopra Center certified instructor – and receive a beautiful certificate to honor your completion and achievement.
Note: This information is subject to change.