The Chopra Center’s Primordial Sound Meditation Online Teacher Training Certification Track Syllabus
Teacher Training Description
Primordial Sound Meditation (PSM) Online Teacher Training is an intensive immersion into the ancient teachings of meditation as translated by Drs. Deepak Chopra and David Simon. The course is divided into two tracks: The Enrichment Track, for those participants who want to deepen their understanding of Primordial Sound Meditation but who do not want to complete the testing and evaluations required to become a Certified Instructor, and the Certification Track, which includes the Enrichment Track and successful completion of the Certified Instructor requirements.
Dr. Deepak Chopra, Founder of The Chopra Foundation and Co-Founder of The Chopra Center for Wellbeing, and Roger Gabriel, a Chopra Center Advisory Board member and Master Educator, will lead both tracks of the online teacher training. They will be joined by Pandit Vamadeva Shastri (Dr. David Frawley), Yogini Shambhavi, Manjula Nadarajah, Teresa Long, Chopra Center Master Educators and Chopra Center Certified Instructors.
Through the Enrichment Track, participants will learn the history of meditation; the basics of meditation; mantra techniques; how to lead a group meditation; Ayurvedic concepts; Vedic philosophy; and Higher States of Consciousness. Participants will also explore research, studies, and meditation’s practical aspects, among other insights.
In the Certification Track, participants will continue on from the Enrichment Track and learn how to teach the Primordial Sound Meditation classes. Among the Certification Track’s topics will be advanced mantra techniques and content, the Primordial Sound Mantras, the Personal Instruction Procedure, the art of teaching, public-speaking skills, methods for facilitating group meditations and workshops, teaching to specialty groups, and marketing and business best practices. Certification Track participants will also take part in exclusive live webinars with Advisory Board members and have access to certified instructor resources and benefits. Participants will be tested and evaluated on their knowledge of the lesson content and group presentations.
In both tracks, each session will include guided meditations, yoga and pranayama practices, reflection questions, student frequently asked questions, resources, and Q&A webinars.
Starting the Teacher Training
Once the teacher training begins, its contents will be released by session. Participants will then log into the sessions remotely as they are released throughout the duration of the program. Participants will have lifetime access to the online course content. A full description of each session will be provided at the start of the teacher training. Please see the schedule for the Enrichment and Certification Tracks’ respective session release dates.
Participants must purchase these books prior to the start of the teacher training. We also encourage participants to begin the required reading as soon as they enroll. The books that are required are:
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon
- Mantra Yoga and Primal Sound: Secret of Seed (Bija) Mantras by Dr. David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastri)
- Shankara’s Crest Jewel of Discrimination as translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood
- The Upanishads as translated by Eknath Easwaran
- The Bhagavad Gita as translated by Eknath Easwaran
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali as translated by Alistair Shearer
The content in these books will be explained, referenced, and discussed during both tracks. We suggest purchasing these books either in written and/or audio formats. Required reading is not included in teacher training tuition.
Requirements for Certificate of Completion
- Daily practice of the Primordial Sound Meditation technique for at least three months prior to the start of the scheduled teacher training.
- Attendance at the required six-day event, Seduction of Spirit, as a participant. Completion of the Seduction of Spirit event is a requirement for the Certification Track. Participants must have either completed the Seduction of Spirit event within three years of enrollment date, or must complete the Seduction of Spirit event within 12 months of starting the scheduled online teacher training.
- Participation in and completion of each required online session within the online teacher training in both the Enrichment Track and the Certification Track.
- Participation in and completion of conference calls (online and/or phone) with assigned groups and teacher training faculty.
- Completion of and passing online testing. Online testing includes interactive activities, oral presentations, and answering test questions. See Testing Requirements below for details.
- Certification is official upon satisfactory completion of Seduction of Spirit and participation in the Enrichment and Certification Tracks. All required testing must be completed and passed.
- Successfully complete content in both the Enrichment Track and the Certification Track.
- Pass an online, multiple-choice, closed-book test with a grade of at least 85%.
- Complete and pass all verbal presentation evaluations.
- Complete and pass the Personal Instructional Procedure test.
Testing outlines will be provided in the online teacher training and prior to the scheduled start course date of the Certification Track. All testing will be conducted via online. The verbal presentation evaluations and Personal Procedure test will be completed through video conferencing.
An average of six to seven hours a week in additional to your daily Primordial Sound Meditation practice is required to complete the commitments listed below. During the duration of both tracks for the teacher training, participants will need to commit time to the following:
- Read required books
- Read written content within each session
- Listen to audio content
- View video content
- Complete the Daily Practice for each session
- Participate in discussion forums
- Participate in optional Facebook Groups (these are closed groups)
- Attend and participate in Q&A webinars in each session (live and/or recorded)
- Meet with assigned, interactive discussion groups via conferencing during scheduled times (live and/or recorded)
- Integrate information and practices
- Review additional resources for each session
Additionally, to the ongoing commitments above, in the Certification Track, participants will also need to:
- Prepare verbal presentations for lessons
- Practice teach presentations prior to scheduled evaluation and feedback sessions
- Prepare and practice for the Personal Instruction Procedure testing
- Prepare for online tests
At the start of the training, there will be Discussion Forums for participants to interact with each other and communicate with Chopra Center staff and instructors. Discussion Forums are a way to create community among all the participants world-wide. Discussion Forums will be open and active only for the duration of the Enrichment and Certification Tracks scheduled dates. Discussion Forums will close at the end of each track.
Prior to the training, there will be closed-group Facebook communities for each track. A link will be emailed to participants when available. We encourage participants to connect with one another through these pages.
Participants will be divided into groups and will have an assigned teacher training faculty member, who is a Chopra Center Certified Instructor. The teacher training faculty member will facilitate groups and answer participant questions. The groups are highly interactive with discussion on content within each session. Groups will interact via online conferencing using video and/or phone. Group sessions are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details regarding scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email prior to the start of the teacher training.
Each session in the training will include one to two Q&A webinars. The Q&A webinars are an opportunity for participants to ask main instructors in the training questions. Participants will be asked to submit questions prior to each of the scheduled webinars. The Q&A webinars are generally scheduled on a Wednesday at 5:00 pm, Pacific Time. Please note, Q&A webinars may be scheduled at other times and days. A schedule and teleconference instructions will be provided via email prior to the start of the teacher training. Webinars are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled webinars.
Basic Technical Requirements
Basic equipment needed for the online course is a computer or mobile device, internet access, microphone, speakers, web camera. The Q&A webinars can also be accessed through using a phone.
Information is subject to change.