Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Online Teacher Training Enrichment and Certification Track Syllabus
Teacher Training Description
The Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Online Teacher Training is an intensive immersion into the ancient teachings of Ayurveda, as translated by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon.
The course is divided into two tracks: the Enrichment Track, for those participants who want to deepen their understanding of Ayurveda but who do not want to complete the testing and evaluations required to become a certified instructor; and the Certification Track, which includes the Enrichment Track and additional in-depth sessions that will enable you to become a certified Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle instructor.
During the course, you will experience a deep immersion in Ayurveda and Vedanta, a timeless philosophy for living in balance and moving from constriction to expansion. You will cultivate your own daily practices as you learn how to share the wisdom and practical tools of Ayurveda with your community. As a certified instructor, you will be qualified to teach the beautifully designed five-lesson process of the Chopra Center’s signature Perfect Health program, which leads people sequentially through the foundation and practical application of mind-body health and Ayurveda. You will be able to set up, market, and teach sessions and classes in a manner and frequency that works with your schedule.
Dr. Deepak Chopra, founder of the Chopra Foundation and co-founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing; and other Chopra Center educators and certified instructors will lead both tracks of the online teacher training.
What Is Included in the Training:
- Origins and Introduction to Ayurveda
- Classical Ayurvedic principles
- The foundations of Vedic philosophy
- Specific guidance and instruction in how to teach each of the five lessons in the Chopra Center’s Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle classes
- Ayurvedic lifestyle practices and daily routines
- In-depth study of the doshas and subdoshas
- Ayurvedic nutrition and herbs
- Basic anatomy and physiology as it relates to Ayurveda
- Ayurvedic pathology
- Detoxification and cleansing practices and therapies
- Introduction to Vastu
- Chakras, nadis, and srotas
- Practices for emotional well-being
- Research and studies on Ayurvedic practices
- Sanskrit study
- Presentation and public speaking skills
- Teaching 1:1 sessions, groups, and workshops
- Teaching specialty groups
- Marketing and business development
- Teacher resources
In both tracks, each session will include guided meditations, yoga and pranayama practices, reflection questions, frequently asked questions, resources, community forums, and live Q&A calls.
Starting the Teacher Training
The teacher training will begin on September 26, 2018, and will be an estimated eight-month course. Once the teacher training begins on September 26, participants will have access to the online course, and each session will open on a scheduled date. Participants will then log into the sessions remotely as they are released throughout the duration of the course. Participants will have lifetime access to the online course content. A full description of each session and session release dates will be provided at the start of the teacher training.
Participants must purchase the following books before the start of the teacher training. We encourage participants to begin the required reading as soon as they enroll.
- Perfect Health, by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
Supplemental Reading List
- The Wisdom of Healing, by David Simon, M.D.
- The Chopra Center Herbal Handbook, by Deepak Chopra, M.D. and David Simon, M.D.
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
- Ayurveda and the Mind, by Dr. David Frawley
- Ayurveda: A Quick Reference Handbook, by Manisha Kshirsagar and Ana Cristina Magno
- Nonviolent Communication, by Marshall Rosenberg
- Free to Love, Free to Heal, by David Simon, M.D.
- Anatomy & Physiology for Dummies, by Donna Rae Siegfried
The content in these books will be explained, referenced, and discussed during both tracks. We suggest purchasing these books in written and/or audio formats. The required and recommended reading is not included in the teacher training tuition.
Requirements for Certificate of Completion
- Daily practice of the Primordial Sound Meditation technique. The Chopra Center’s Online, Primordial Sound Meditation OnDemand Course is included and participants will have access to the OnDemand course upon completion of enrollment. It is recommended that participants begin upon enrollment and prior to the start of the scheduled training.
- Daily practice of Ayurvedic principles.
- Attend and complete the six-day Perfect Health program as a participant. Participants can have completed the Perfect Health program up to three years before their enrollment in the online teacher training. If they have not yet attended the Perfect Health program, they must attend within 12 months of the scheduled online teacher training. Those who have not yet attended the Perfect Health program are required to enroll at the same time they enroll in the Perfect Health: Ayurveda Online Teacher Training.
- Participate in and complete each required online session within the online teacher training in both the Enrichment Track and the Certification Track.
- Participate in scheduled live Q&A calls (participate live and/or listen to recordings).
- Participate in all conference calls online or via phone with assigned groups and teacher training faculty (live and/or listen to recordings).
- Complete online testing and achieve a passing score. Online testing includes interactive activities, verbal presentations, and answering test questions. See Testing Requirements below for details.
- Certification is official upon satisfactory completion of the Perfect Health program and participation in the Enrichment and Certification Tracks. All required testing must be completed and passed.
- Complete both the Enrichment Track and the Certification Track, which includes watching all the videos, reading all the books and materials, listening to the live calls, and participating in the groups (live and/or listen to recordings).
- Complete and pass online, closed-book tests with a grade of 85% or higher. The online tests are in the form of multiple choice, matching, and true/false questions.
- Complete and pass all verbal presentation evaluations.
Testing outlines will be provided in the online teacher training course as well as before the scheduled start date of the Certification Track. All testing will be conducted via online modalities. The verbal presentation evaluations will be facilitated and completed through video conferencing using a web camera, microphone, and speakers (see Basic Technical Requirements below).
Completing the commitments listed below will require an average of six to seven hours a week, not including your twice-daily Primordial Sound Meditation practice and Ayurvedic practices, which are also required. Throughout the duration of both tracks for the teacher training, participants will need to commit time to the following:
- Read required books.
- Read all written content within each session, including resources.
- Listen to audio content.
- View video content.
- Complete the Daily Practices for each session.
- Participate in community forum discussions.
- Attend and participate in live Q&A calls for each session (live and/or listen to recording).
- Meet with assigned, interactive discussion groups via video conferencing during scheduled times (live and/or listen to recording).
- Integrate information and practices.
- Review additional resources for each session.
In addition to the ongoing commitments listed above, in the Certification Track, participants will need to:
- Prepare verbal presentations for lessons.
- Practice teaching presentations before scheduled evaluation and feedback sessions.
- Prepare for the online tests.
Community Discussion Forums
At the start of the scheduled teacher training, there will be community forums for participants to interact with each other and communicate with Chopra Center staff and instructors. These forums are a way to create community among all the participants worldwide. The community forums will be open and active only for the duration of the scheduled dates of the Enrichment and Certification Tracks. The community forums will close at the end of each track.
The course includes a closed-group Facebook community for each track. A link to the Facebook group page will be included in the registration confirmation email, and participants can join before the scheduled start date of the course. There is a Facebook group page for the Enrichment Track, and another for the Certification Track. We encourage participants to connect with one another through these pages.
Participants will be divided into groups and will have an assigned teacher training faculty member who is a Chopra Center certified instructor. The teacher training faculty member will facilitate groups and answer participant questions. The groups are highly interactive and will discuss the content of the sessions. The participant groups will interact via online conferencing using video and/or phone. Group sessions are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details regarding scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email before the start of the teacher training.
Live Q&A Calls
Each session in the training will include one to two live Q&A calls. The live Q&A calls are an opportunity for participants to ask the primary educators teaching a session questions about the content within that session. Participants will be asked to post questions in the community forum before each of the scheduled live calls. The live Q&A calls are generally scheduled on a specific weekday at 10 am (Pacific time). However, please note that live Q&A calls may be scheduled at other times and days. A schedule with the teleconference instructions will be provided via email before the start of the teacher training. Live calls are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled calls.
Basic Technical Requirements
The basic equipment needed for the online course is a computer or mobile device, internet access, microphone, speakers, and web camera. The live Q&A calls can also be accessed by phone.
Note: Information on the syllabus is subject to change.