Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Online Certification Program Syllabus
The Chopra Center’s Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Certification Program is an intensive immersion into the teachings of Ayurveda as translated by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon.
The Certification Program continues where the Enrichment Program leaves off, with additional in-depth sessions that will deepen your knowledge of Ayurveda as you gain the confidence and skills to become a certified Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle instructor. During the program, you will experience a deep immersion in Ayurveda and Vedanta, a timeless philosophy for living in balance and moving from constriction to expansion. You will cultivate your own daily practices as you learn how to share the wisdom and practical tools of Ayurveda with your community.
As a certified instructor, you will be qualified to teach the Chopra Center’s signature Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle content, which leads people sequentially through the foundation and hands-on practices of mind-body health and Ayurveda. You will also be able to set up, market, and present the content and classes in a manner and frequency that works with your needs and schedule.
Dr. Deepak Chopra, Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar, Dr. Sheila Patel, Chopra educators, and world-renowned authors and teachers, lead the Certification Program. The program is highly interactive and engaging, offering you the opportunity to communicate through exclusive Facebook communities and discussion forums, participate in live Q&A calls and video conferences with program educators, and work in online group sessions with other program participants and teacher training faculty members.
Once the online Certification Program begins on the scheduled start date, you will be able to log in and access the program remotely. The program is a 20-week course that requires a time commitment of approximately 5-6 hours a week, in addition to your daily Ayurvedic practices. Each session of the program will be released according to the program schedule, which you will receive once the course begins.
Each session of the Certification Program includes content in written, audio and video formats, reflection questions, quizzes, frequently asked questions, resources, and live Q&A calls and video conferences with program main educators. The program also includes a Daily Practices session with guided meditations, yoga instruction, and pranayama practices.
There is one required core text for the teacher training:
- Perfect Health, by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
Participants need to purchase this book before the start of the teacher training as we will be discussing and referring to it throughout the sessions. We encourage participants to begin reading Perfect Health as soon as they enroll.
Supplemental Reading List
Here is a list of the books we recommend to deepen your understanding of Ayurveda and mind-body health:
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
- The Healing Self, by Deepak Chopra, M.D. and Rudolph E. Tanzi, Ph.D.
- MetaHuman, by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
- The Wisdom of Healing, by David Simon, M.D.
- Free to Love, Free to Heal, by David Simon, M.D.
- Change Your Schedule, Change Your Life, by Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar
- Ayurveda: A Quick Reference Handbook, by Manisha Kshirsagar and Ana Cristina Magno
- Ayurveda and the Mind, by Dr. David Frawley
- Nonviolent Communication, by Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D.
- One Simple Thing A New Look at the Science of Yoga and How It Can Transform Your Life, by Eddie Stern
All of the books listed above are only recommended and can be ordered from Amazon or other retailers (some books may also be available in audio format).
The content in these books will be explained, referenced, and discussed during both the Enrichment Program and the Certification Program.
Requirements for Certificate of Completion
- Daily practice of the Primordial Sound Meditation technique. The Chopra Center’s online Primordial Sound Meditation course was included in your enrollment in the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Enrichment Program.
Daily practice of Ayurvedic lifestyle principles and techniques.
- Attendance at the Chopra Center’s Perfect Health retreat and/or completion of the Perfect Health Online Program, which is self-paced. The Chopra Center’s Perfect Health Online Program was included with your enrollment in the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Enrichment Program.
- Participation in and completion of each online session within the Certification Program.
- Participation in and completion of conference calls and video conference sessions (participate live and/or listen to recordings).
Completion of online testing and achievement of a passing score. Online testing includes interactive activities, verbal presentations, and answering test questions. See Testing Requirements below for details.
- Certification is official upon satisfactory completion of requirements. All required testing must be completed and passed.
- Successful completion of the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Online teacher training content, which includes watching all the videos, completing all of the required reading, listening to the live calls or recordings, and participating in the group sessions.
- Complete and pass an online test with a grade of 85% or higher. The online test is in the form of multiple choice, matching, and true/false questions.
- Complete and pass all verbal presentation evaluations via video conferencing.
Testing outlines will be provided during the program. All testing will be conducted online. The verbal presentation evaluations will be facilitated and completed through video conferencing using a device with internet access, a web camera, microphone, and speakers (see Basic Technical Requirements below).
An average of five to six hours a week, in addition to your daily Ayurvedic practices, is required to complete the commitments listed below. During the teacher training, participants will need to commit time to the following:
- Complete required reading.
- Read all written content within each session, including resources.
- Listen to the audio content.
- View the video content.
- Participate in the community discussion forum.
- Participate in the optional Facebook group (this is a closed group).
- Attend and participate in the live Q&A calls and/or video conferences for each session (recordings will be available if you are unable to attend live).
- Attend and participate with interactive discussion groups via video conferencing during scheduled times (recordings will be available if you are unable to attend live).
- Integrate information and practices.
- Review the additional resources for each session.
- Prepare verbal presentations for lesson evaluations.
- Practice teach presentations before scheduled evaluation and feedback sessions.
- Prepare for and complete the online test.
The Community Forum
The Certification Program includes a Community Forum for participants to interact with each other and communicate with Chopra Center staff and instructors. This forum is a way to create community among all the participants worldwide. The Community Forum will be open and active only for the duration of the scheduled dates of the Certification Program. The Community Forum will close at the end of the program.
The Facebook Group
Once you have enrolled in the Certification Program, you will receive an email invitation with a link to access a closed-group Facebook group. We encourage participants to connect with one another through this private Facebook community.
The Certification Program includes participant groups facilitated by Chopra Center teacher training faculty members. The groups are highly interactive and will discuss the content of the open sessions and answer participant questions. The participant groups will interact via online conferencing using video and/or phone. Group sessions are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details about the scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided at the start of the scheduled program.
Live Q&A Calls and Video Conferences
Each session in the Certification Program will include live Q&A calls and/or video conferences. The live Q&A calls and video conferences are an opportunity for participants to ask the primary educators questions about the content within that session. Participants will be asked to post questions in the Community Forum before each of the scheduled live calls and video conferences.
The live Q&A calls and video conferences are generally scheduled on a specific weekday and time. However, please note that live Q&A calls and video conferences may be scheduled at other times and days. A schedule with the live Q&A calls and video conference dates will be provided at the start of the scheduled program. Live Q&A calls and video conferences are recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled events.
Instructions to access each scheduled live Q&A call and video conference will be provided during the scheduled program.
The group meditation sessions are an opportunity for participants from around the world to connect with each other in the stillness and silence of meditation. Each meditation strengthens your practice, and even experienced meditators will benefit from the guidance and intention settings of a group meditation. The group meditations will also help you stay motivated and engaged in your meditation practice.
In these sessions, the meditation time will be 30 minutes, and we will include some time at the beginning and at the end to connect with each other. The meditation groups will meet via online conferencing using video and/or phone.
The group meditation sessions will be recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details about the scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email during the program.
There will be five study group sessions during the Certification Program. Each study group session will focus on one specific Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle class, and we will review and discuss each of the key points within that lesson. This is an opportunity to ask teacher training faculty members questions you may have about specific topics in each lesson in preparation for your presentation evaluations. The study groups will interact via online conferencing using video and/or phone.
The study group sessions will be recorded and can be accessed online after each of the scheduled sessions. Additional details regarding scheduled times and conference instructions will be provided via email during the program.
Basic Technical Requirements
The basic equipment needed for the online course is a computer or mobile device, internet access, microphone, speakers, and web camera. The live Q&A calls can also be accessed online or by phone.
Certification Program Sessions
Session 1: Welcome to the Certification Program and the Art of Teaching
- Overview of the course – learn what you can expect from this transformational experience and receive expert guidance that will set you up to successfully complete the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Certification Program.
- Begin creating and practicing personalized presentations of the course material – with the support and guidance of Chopra Center educators.
- Put public speaking and presentation techniques to work for you – including confidence boosters that really work.
- Discover how to help students easily overcome common challenges to creating an Ayurvedic lifestyle – and how to respond to commonly asked student questions as a compassionate, competent professional.
Session 2: The Practice of Yoga and Pranayama
- Receive instruction in a powerful restorative yoga flow – led by world-renowned yoga instructor Eddie Stern.
- Learn how to activate and regulate the flow of prana in your physiology – using specific yogic practices to engage the bandhas, or energy locks, in the bodymind.
- Deepen your practice of pranayama – with instruction in ancient pranayama techniques that decrease stress, increase energy levels, and enhance the body’s relaxation response.
- Explore the nadis, the network of channels through which energy flows – and discover how yoga, pranayama, and meditation help to clear these channels and promote health and spiritual awakening.
- Study the Eight Limbs of Yoga from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – and discover a practical roadmap for awakening to your higher self.
Session 3: Evaluating and Testing
- Through personalized presentations, demonstrate your mastery of the course materials – with the guidance and support of Chopra Center educators.
- Participate in evaluations that measure your understanding of the teacher training materials – and receive helpful guidance and feedback from Chopra Center teacher training faculty members.
- Complete and pass online test questions – as you review, integrate, and demonstrate your understanding of the material on a practical level.
Session 4: Teaching Specialty Groups and Ayurvedic Studies
- Receive training in teaching Ayurvedic lifestyle practices – to a variety of different groups and audiences.
- Develop a sense of the kinds of groups you would like to teach – when you become a certified instructor.
- Review the most recent scientific research and studies on Ayurveda – to expand your awareness of the benefits of Ayurveda and meditation for physical health and emotional well-being.
Session 5: Philosophy
- Learn about Jyotish, the Vedic science of astrology – and discover how Jyotish can help you evaluate your strengths, address challenges, and fulfill your true purpose and potential.
- Discover the Purusharthas, the four primary aims of human life – and learn how to work with them to create a satisfying, balanced, and meaningful life.
- Expand your knowledge of Vastu – an ancient environmental science that addresses how your home and workspace influence your health, happiness, relationships, and success in life in very subtle, yet profound ways.
- Explore and practice the Seven Spiritual Laws of Success – powerful principles rooted in Vedic wisdom that will help you fulfill your deepest desires with ease and joy.
- The Universe Is a Human Construct – join Deepak for an exploration of the nature of reality that bridges the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda and modern science, focusing on consciousness as the source of all experience, including your thoughts, feelings, emotions, perceptions, and sensations.
Session 6: Ayurvedic Herbs
- Learn about the foundations of Ayurvedic herbology – including Ayurvedic pharmacology, using herbs to balance the doshas, and scientific research on the benefits of Ayurvedic herbs.
- Explore the top ten Ayurvedic herbs – and discover their benefits, properties, and how and when to use them.
Session 7: Pulse Assessment
- Experience a basic introduction to Ayurvedic pulse assessment – for your own personal use and self-awareness.
- Learn about the theory and practice of pulse assessment – and the valuable information it can provide about one’s dosha type and state of balance and well-being.
Session 8: Teacher Resources and Business Best Practices
- Access to a wealth of Teacher Resources to support your practice – exclusively for Chopra Center certified instructors.
- Learn how to participate in a variety of affiliate and commission opportunities – created specifically for Chopra Center certified instructors.
- Access an exclusive teachers’ portal – to download valuable teaching materials and marketing templates.
- Receive support in business development practices – to inspire you and help you grow your teaching practice.
- Learn practical teaching methods to facilitate classes of all sizes and levels – including techniques for beginning, intermediate, and advanced students/clients in private, group, and virtual formats.
- Discover effective methods for teaching specialty groups – as you learn how to share the teachings of Ayurveda in specific settings.
Session 9: The Conclusion of the Certification Program and Graduation
- Reflect on everything you have learned in the program – and receive words of wisdom on your next steps on the teachers’ path from the teachers who have guided you along the way, including Dr. Deepak Chopra, Dr. Sheila Patel, Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar, and other Chopra educators.
- Celebrate the completion of your journey to become a Chopra Center certified instructor – and receive a beautiful certificate to honor your completion and achievement.
Note: This information is subject to change.