Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Online Teacher Training Enrichment Program
The Chopra Center’s Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Online Enrichment Program is an in-depth Ayurvedic course and is the prerequisite for the Chopra Center’s Perfect Health Online Certification Program. Led by Dr. Deepak Chopra, Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar, Dr. Sheila Patel, Roger Gabriel, and a faculty of Chopra Center educators, this program will take you on a journey that will enhance your own health, well- being, and spiritual life, and provide the foundation for sharing these practices with others in your community.
Once the online program begins on the scheduled start date, you will be able to log on and access the program remotely. Each session of the program will be released according to a schedule you will receive once you have enrolled. The Enrichment Program is a 27-week course that requires a time commitment of approximately six to seven hours a week, in addition to your daily Ayurvedic practices.
The Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle Online Enrichment Program is highly interactive and engaging. You can look forward to:
- Working in small study groups with teacher-training faculty members
- Connecting with peers
- Participating in live Q&A calls and video conferences with Chopra Center educators
- Communicating through a private Facebook group and Community forum
Each session of the Enrichment Program includes reflection questions, quizzes, student frequently asked questions, resources, and live Q&A calls and video conferences with Chopra Center educators. The program also includes a Daily Practices session with guided meditations, yoga instruction, and pranayama practices.
Session One: Introduction to the Enrichment Program and the Principles and Origins of Ayurveda
- An Introduction to the Program – discover what you can expect from this transformational course and set your intentions in a special guided meditation
- Online Community Forums – learn how to join and participate in the private discussion groups that will deepen your learning and enhance your course experience
- Meet Your Instructors – find out why they love teaching about mind-body health, how Ayurveda has transformed their lives, and how they’ll support you on your own journey
- Ayurveda: The Science of Conscious Living – explore the origins and core principles of Ayurveda, beginning with the recognition that your inherent state is health and your essential nature is pure consciousness, the infinite field of all possibilities
- Ayurveda Is the Original Lifestyle Medicine – expand your awareness of your incredible ability to influence your genes and health through your daily choices about diet, exercise, sleep, relationships, and all the other aspects of your life
Session Two: Ayurvedic Cosmology and Philosophy
- Sankhya Philosophy – dive into the Vedic philosophy that shapes Ayurveda’s perspective of the universe, the nature of reality, and the purpose of life, including the 24 cosmic principles of Sankhya that describe the progressive unfoldment of consciousness into the manifest world of form and phenomena
- The Universe Is a Human Construct – join Deepak for an exploration of the nature of reality that bridges the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda and modern science, focusing on consciousness as the source of all experience, including your thoughts, feelings, emotions, perceptions, and sensations
- You Are Pure Consciousness – gain insight into the age-old question Who am I? as you explore the Vedic perspective on the nature of your true self, which is pure consciousness, beyond space and time
Session Three: Essential Concepts in Ayurveda
- The Doshas and Their Qualities – expand your understanding of the mind- body principles that govern all of the activities of the bodymind, including sleep, digestion, detoxification, respiration, circulation, and an infinite number of other processes
- Dhatus, Malas, and Srotas – explore foundational concepts in Ayurvedic physiology, including the functions and composition of the seven vital tissues, or dhatus; the three malas, or waste products; and the body’s network of channels, or srotas
- Agni, Ojas, and Ama – learn the core Ayurvedic principles for digestion, detoxification and health, including agni, our ability to digest our food, emotions, and everything we experience; ama, the toxins that result from weak digestion; and ojas, the subtle essence of radiant health
Session Four: The Subdoshas
- The Subdoshas of Vata – delve into the five distinct subdoshas of the Vata dosha that reside in different locations throughout the body and govern specific physical, mental, and emotional functions
- The Subdoshas of Pitta – learn about the five subdoshas of Pitta and how they carry out the functions of the fiery dosha responsible for digestion, conversion, transformation, metabolic function, and the regulation of body temperature
- The Subdoshas of Kapha – discover how the five subdoshas of Kapha carry out the functions governed by this dosha, including construction, lubrication, protection, nourishment, cohesion, and stabilization
Session Five: Meditation
- The Benefits of Meditation – explore the profound benefits of meditation for your physical health, emotional well-being, and spiritual awakening―and experience a special meditation guided by Deepak
- Meditation and Well-being – discover how meditation eliminates chronic stress and increase gene activity that fosters your natural state of physical and emotional well-being
- How to Lead a Group Meditation – become comfortable and adept at leading group meditation for your students, friends, and family (lesson includes downloadable scripts and an audio download of Deepak leading a guided meditation that you can use as a model for your own group meditations)
Session Six: Pranayama
- Introduction to Pranayama – learn about the ancient Ayurvedic practice of pranayama and how you can tap into the power of conscious breathing to cultivate a clear, peaceful mind and a vibrant, healthy body
- The Benefits of Pranayama – explore the mind-body benefits of conscious breathing, including decreased stress, inflammation, depression, and anxiety; as well as greater energy levels, stabilized blood pressure, muscle relaxation, and inner calm
- Pranayama Practices – receive instruction in foundational pranayama techniques from renowned yoga teacher Eddie Stern, who shares the specific benefits of each technique and practical tips on developing a daily pranayama practice
Session Seven: Mindful Movement
- Introduction to Mindful Movement – discover the power of mindful movement, which is exercise where you are present and aware of the sensations and movement of your body
- The Benefits of Yoga and Mindful Movement – explore the exciting new research into how yoga and mindful movement can help you experience greater health, flexibility, strength, and happiness
- Move Your Body: Yoga Practices for Well-being – receive guided instruction in simple yet effective yoga practices that you can enjoy at home and teach to students and friends
Session Eight: Perfect Health Class – Lesson One: Introduction to Ayurveda
- In this session, you will begin to learn how to instruct the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle classes, starting with Lesson One: Introduction to Ayurveda. The topics in Lesson One include an overview of the Perfect Health course, the foundations of Ayurveda, the layers of life, the five elements (mahabhutas), an introduction to doshas, an exploration of each of the three main doshas and how they manifest when they are in balance and out of balance, how to interpret the Dosha Quiz, and using our attention to enliven our health.
Session Nine: Perfect Health Class – Lesson Two: Ayurvedic Nutrition
- This session will guide you in how to teach Lesson Two of the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle class: Ayurvedic Nutrition. The topics covered in Lesson Two include digestion (agni, ama, and ojas), the six tastes, eating to balance each dosha type, the importance of a multicolored diet, phytonutrients, enhancing digestion with herbs and spices; and eating with awareness.
Session Ten: Perfect Health Class – Lesson Three: Emotional Freedom
- In this session, you will learn how to instruct Lesson Three of the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle class: Emotional Freedom, which includes these topics: happiness, our core emotional needs, the nature of emotions, the seven biological responses, conscious communications, and a powerful emotional clearing process.
Session Eleven: Perfect Health Class – Lesson Four: Inner Pharmacy
- This session will guide you in teaching Lesson Four of the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle class: Inner Pharmacy. The topics covered in Lesson Four include an introduction to healing through the senses and in an-depth exploration of the healing power of sound, touch, sight, taste, and smell. You will learn how to teach specific sensory practice to balance each of the doshas. You will also explore the sense of humor—using laughter as medicine.
Session Twelve: Perfect Health Class – Lesson Five: Ayurvedic Daily Routines
- In this session, you will learn how to teach the final lesson in the Perfect Health: Ayurvedic Lifestyle class, Lesson Five: Daily Routine. The topics in Lesson Five include the rhythms of nature, the dosha clock and the characteristics of each dosha time period, creating an optimal daily routine, doshas and the seasons, seasonal routines, detoxification, mindful movement, pranayama, and restful sleep. You will be guided in how to instruct a variety of Ayurvedic practices, such as neti pot and nasya, tongue cleaning, and Abhyanga self-massage.
Session Thirteen: Conclusion of the Enrichment Program
- As we come to the end of the Enrichment Program, you will be guided to reflect on everything that you have learned and the ways in which your life has transformed as a result of applying the wisdom and practices of Ayurveda in your life. You will review the key principles from the entire course and focus on how you will continue to integrate these rich teachings in your life. For those embarking on the Certification Program, we will offer a preview of what’s ahead.
Session Fourteen: Daily Ayurvedic Practices
- This session is where you will find the daily Ayurvedic practices that we will recommend to you throughout the course, including guided meditations, pranayama techniques, and yoga practices. We will be updating and adding to the content in this session on a regular basis, giving you the opportunity to expand your experience of Ayurveda and its tools.
There is one required core text for the Perfect Health Online Enrichment Program:
- Perfect Health, by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
Participants need to purchase this book before the start of the program as we will be discussing and referring to it throughout the sessions. We encourage participants to begin reading Perfect Health as soon as they enroll.
Supplemental Reading List
Here is a list of the books we recommend to deepen your understanding of Ayurveda and mind-body health:
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
- The Healing Self, by Deepak Chopra, M.D. and Rudolph E. Tanzi, Ph.D.
- The Wisdom of Healing, by David Simon, M.D.
- Free to Love, Free to Heal, by David Simon, M.D.
- Change Your Schedule, Change Your Life by Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar
- Ayurveda: A Quick Reference Handbook, by Manisha Kshirsagar and Ana Cristina Magno
- Ayurveda and the Mind, by Dr. David Frawley
- Nonviolent Communication, by Marshall Rosenberg
All of the books listed above can be ordered from Amazon or other retailers (some books may also be available in audio format).
We recommend that you read the books in the order listed. The content in these books will be explained, referenced, and discussed during both the Enrichment Program and the Certification Program.
Basic Technical Requirements
The basic equipment needed for the online course is a computer or mobile device, internet access, microphone, speakers, and web camera. The live Q&A calls can also be accessed by phone. We recommend that you use one of the following browsers, up to date with the latest versions: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer/ Edge, or Safari.
Note: This information is subject to change.