WHAT AIRPORTS ARE CLOSE BY?
The Tenaya Lodge is approximately 1.5 hours from the Fresno International Airport (FAT), 3.5 hours from the Oakland International Airport (OAK) and 4 hours from the San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
HOW SHOULD I GET TO THE HOTEL FROM THE AIRPORT?
Hertz is offering discounted rates for Chopra Center guests. To book, visit the Hertz Website and select Enter a Promo or Discount. In the box labeled Convention Number (CV), enter code CV04UW0008. Taxi and ride-sharing services are also available at the airport if preferred.
WILL THERE BE PARKING AVAILABLE?
Complimentary valet service is available at Tenaya Lodge. Just drive your car into our porte-cochere and let the valet staff take care of you and your vehicle.
HOW DO I BOOK MY HOTEL AT THE CHOPRA CENTER DISCOUNTED RATE?
Contact your Program Consultant for specific details.
WHAT TIME IS HOTEL CHECK-IN?
Standard check-in at Tenaya Lodge is at 4:00 PM. The hotel will allow early check-in upon arrival if rooms are available.
WHAT TIME IS HOTEL CHECK-OUT?
Standard check-out at Tenaya Lodge is at 11:00 AM. The hotel will provide storage for your luggage at the valet if needed.
WHAT AMENITIES ARE AVAILABLE AT THE HOTEL?
- Ascent Spa (Chopra Center guests receive a 10% discount)
- Indoor & Outdoor Pool
- Laundry Facility
- Fitness Center
- Game Room
- Jackson Road Trail (2.5 miles) on property
- Tenaya General Store & Gift Shop
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Pet care (dog-sitting, dog-walking and kennel services)
- Childcare for infants and children 12 and under (contact concierge for more information)
- Kid Camps (Sierra Adventure Club & Evening Kids Camp)
WHAT MEALS ARE INCLUDED FOR THIS EVENT?
- 5 breakfasts (Mon-Fri)
- 5 lunches (Mon-Fri)
- 5 dinners (Mon-Fri)
WHAT KIND OF FOOD WILL BE SERVED?
Fresh, locally sourced, primarily vegetarian meals curated by the Executive Chef in partnership with our Nutritionist following the main principals of Ayurveda. There will be meat options on occasion and served at the Celebration Luau Dinner. Vegan and Gluten-Free options will be available at all meals.
I HAVE FOOD SENSITIVITIES. WHAT KIND OF FOOD WILL I BE ABLE TO EAT?
All meals will be clearly labeled for easy reference. Please contact your Program Consultant if you have restrictions beyond that. In addition, Tenaya Lodge has detailed procedures in place to ensure safe food preparation to accommodate guests with allergies.
WHAT RESTAURANTS ARE ON PROPERTY?
What to Bring
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
Comfortable clothing for meeting spaces and resort wear for activities. We recommend layers as the temperatures can vary in the meeting space. Many guests have blankets or jackets for their comfort inside. You’ll also want to have clothing for yoga and additional excursions on hand if you so desire.
DO I NEED TO BRING A YOGA MAT?
Yoga mats are not provided. If you prefer one, yes bring it. We do provide towels.
About the Event
WHAT TIME IS EVENT REGISTRATION?
Early Event registration for Silent Awakenings will take place Sunday, September 27, 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Event registration will also be offered the day-of on Monday, September 28th, 8:30 AM – 9:30 AM.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN MY TICKET?
- 6-night stay at Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite, CA
- Program Tuition
- 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 5 dinners (Mon-Fri)
- Daily yoga and meditation classes
- Specially sourced swag bag with ecofriendly products
- Access to the Chopra Center’s Primordial Sound Meditation Online Course
WHAT EVENT SEATING IS AVAILABLE?
Seating is on a first come first serve basis and changes daily.
WHAT IS A TYPICAL DAY LIKE?
Your day will follow a basic structure. The meditations will be led by Deepak and the Chopra Center’s master educators.
- Sunrise meditation
- Yoga (indoor and outdoor classes available)
- Group meditation (indoors)
- Time to journal and take guided nature walks with Brent BecVar
- Satsang and meditation with Deepak
To learn more about what a typical day would look like, view our Sample Schedule.
ARE THERE ADDITIONAL MATERIALS TO PREPARE MYSELF FOR ATTENDING THIS EVENT?
Yes. Paid tuition to The Chopra Center’s Primordial Sound Meditation On-Demand Course is included as part of the Silent Awakenings course to enrich both your experience at Silent Awakenings and also the quality of your life.
If you have not already received your Primordial Sound Mantra, this course is a supplement to the event and will prepare you to fully understand the teachings offered at Silent Awakenings. If you have already received your Primordial Sound Mantra, you can use this course as a refresher or gift it to a friend.
Click HERE for instructions on how to access your Primordial Sound Meditation Course.
We also suggest that you read the following book(s) prior to attending so that you can get the most out of your experience.
- Inviting Silence, by Gunilla Norris
- Stillness Speaks, by Eckhart Tolle
- Holy Silence, The Gift of Quaker Spirituality, by J. Brent Bill
- Sitting Still, by Particia Hard Clifford
- Book of Secrets, 112 Meditations to Discover the Mystery Within, by Osho
- Listening Below the Noise, by Anne D. LeClaire
WHAT IS AYURVEDA?
Thousands of years before modern medicine provided scientific evidence for the mind-body connection, the sages of India developed Ayurveda, which continues to be one of the world’s most sophisticated and powerful mind-body health systems. More than a mere system of treating illness, Ayurveda is a science of life (Ayur = life, Veda = science or knowledge). It offers a body of wisdom designed to help people stay vibrant and healthy while realizing their full human potential.
The two main guiding principles of Ayurveda are:
- The mind and the body are inextricably connected and
- Nothing has more power to heal and transform the body than the mind. Freedom from illness depends upon expanding our own awareness, bringing it into balance, and then extending that balance to the body.
WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM THIS RETREAT?
Silent Awakenings is for committed Primordial Sound Meditation practitioners who want to take their meditation and spiritual awareness to a deeper level. A silent retreat isn’t suited for everyone, yet for those who are ready to take a deep inward journey, many gifts await.
Silent Awakenings is perfect for anyone who wants to:
- Experience a mindfulness retreat in a beautiful nature setting
- Step away from life’s demands and engage in deep reflection
- Engage in an extended experience of personal contemplation and rejuvenation
- Awaken to their essential spiritual nature
- Expand and deepen their meditation practice
WHAT HAPPENS DURING PERSONAL TIME?
You will have time every day to be alone. You can exercise, write in your journal, walk in nature or do anything that is nurturing for your experience.
ARE THERE ANY REQUIREMENTS TO ATTEND?
Silent Awakenings is an advanced retreat, limited to guests who have previously attended any Chopra Center program, workshop, or taken our Primordial Sound Meditation online course. This is a unique opportunity for an extended experience of meditation, silence, and contemplation that will help you dive deeper and be more present in your life.
We ask that participants fulfill the following prerequisites before coming to Silent Awakenings:
- For at least two months prior to the event, participants need to have a practice of meditating twice a day with one of the daily meditations lasting a minimum of thirty minutes.
- At least one day a month in the months leading up to the event, spend the day in silence
About the Area
WHAT IS THE LOCAL CLIMATE LIKE?
Tenaya Lodge is situated at 5,288 feet in elevation on the southern border of Yosemite, above the heat of the Central Valley. In winter you may encounter snow on the last few miles to Tenaya Lodge.
September is amongst the best months to visit Yosemite National Park. The climate during this time of year in the National Park is dry; it hardly ever rains. Temperatures in the mid-70s °F are pleasant for hiking and a lot of the summer crowds have left by now. The average maximum daytime temperature in Yosemite in September is a comfortable 64°F. The average night-time temperature is usually a cold 36°F. There are usually 10 hours of bright sunshine each day.
WHAT ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE AREA?
- Explore the Tenaya Lodge facilities:
- Indoor Pool: 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Outdoor Pool: 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM (Summer Only)
- Fitness Center: 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Game Room: 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Tenaya Lodge is just 2 miles from the South entrance of Yosemite National Park.
- Visit Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. The Grove is located only about 4 miles from Tenaya Lodge.
- Adventure outside on a nearby hiking trail. Where are the nearest hiking trails?
- Jackson Road. Leave right from the hotel and hike to a waterfall in 2.5 miles, or you can drive the first two miles and just hike the last part. Jackson Road connects to a vast network of dirt roads in the Sierra National Forest.
- Lewis Creek. 10 minutes south of Tenaya Lodge.
- Goat Meadow. 10 minutes north of Tenaya Lodge.
- Many more options exist both in Yosemite National Park and in the vast Sierra National Forest. Speak with the concierge for suggestions and maps.
- Visit the Ansel Adams Gallery. The Gallery is between the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center and the Post Office in Yosemite Village.
About Yosemite National Park
HOW LONG DOES THE PARK STAY OPEN?
The park is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ENTER YOSEMITE?
Fee Type Fee
Non-Commercial Vehicle $35 | per vehicle
Motorcycle $30 | per motorcycle
Individual (bus passenger, bicycle, walking) $20 | per person
I ONLY HAVE A FEW HOURS, HOW DO I SEE THE PARK?
Yosemite National Park is vast and you will only be able to see a small portion of it in a few hours, but you can still see some of the most famous sites and most breathtaking scenery. Some things to do for a short visit include:
- Visit to Glacier Point (1-hour drive from Tenaya Lodge).
- Visit Yosemite Valley, with stops at Tunnel View and perhaps quick hikes to Bridalveil Fall and Lower Yosemite Fall (75-minute drive from Tenaya Lodge).
- Visit the Pioneer Village in Wawona and relax by the river (20-minute drive from Tenaya Lodge).
WHERE CAN I DRIVE MY CAR INSIDE THE PARK?
There are many scenic areas that can be reached by car. A number of these areas will have turn-outs and/or informational signs. Popular destinations such as Yosemite Valley, the Mariposa Grove, and Tuolumne Meadows suffer from traffic congestion. Visitors are encouraged to use free shuttle bus transportation provided at these locations.
Areas restricted from vehicle traffic are:
- Happy Isles Loop
- Mirror Lake Road
- Various sections of the shuttle bus route in Yosemite Village*
- Merced Grove
- Tuolumne Grove
- Mariposa Grove
Free parking areas exist in proximity to these areas.
ARE PETS ALLOWED IN THE PARK?
Only service animals with appropriate documentation are permitted in Chopra Center retreat meeting spaces. However, dogs are welcome at Tenaya Lodge and the Sierra National Forest around the lodge provides miles and miles of roads and trails to explore with your pet. Please be aware that your pet will be less welcome inside the park gate and subject to the following rules:
- Pets are NOT permitted in any Yosemite lodging facility.
- Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite allows pets/dogs.
- Pets must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Pets may not be left unattended at any time.
- Pets are not allowed on trails or in the backcountry of Yosemite, including ski trails in winter.
- Pets are permitted anywhere on the Valley Floor, Happy Isles Nature Center and Mirror Lake Parking Lot. Pets are also permitted on the Pohono Bridge and on paved paths not designated as a foot or horse trail.
- Pets are NOT permitted on any slope above the valley floor.
- Pets are NOT permitted in public eating places, stores or other public buildings.
- Exceptions are made for seeing-eye dogs and "hearing" dogs. Inquire at the Park Visitor Centers or
- Ranger Stations for more information. (Service animals are allowed in lodging facilities).
- There is no kennel service in Yosemite Valley.