- Clear away brain fog
- Ignite your digestive fire
- Rev up your energy
One of the best ways to balance your dosha is with your diet. Pitta types have the propensity to get irritable and overeat if they let themselves get too hungry, so foods that provide a steady flow of energy—like vegetables, grains, and beans—are best.
Try this tasty tabouli salad recipe to sustain your healthy Pitta appetite for the long run.
Not a Pitta?
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat (cracked wheat)
- 1 teaspoon ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks or onions
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers (fresh will also work well)
- 1 cup cubed zucchini
- 1/2 cup Great Northern beans, cooked and rinsed
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or other fresh herb
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
Bring the vegetable stock or water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the bulgur, stir with a fork, remove from the heat, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Allow the bulgur to soak for 15 minutes; then fluff with a fork and place in a large mixing bowl and let cool.
Meanwhile, warm the ghee or oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
Add the leeks or onions and sauté briefly. Add the red pepper and zucchini and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add the cooked beans and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of vegetable stock (or water) as the mixture begins to dry out.
Remove from heat and cool.
Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil, mint, and olives to the cooled bulgur and mix. Add the sauté mixture and combine gently.
Finally, pour the dressing over the bulgur mixture.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos or tamari
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions for the Dressing:
In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil. Whisk the mixture and then continue to stir as you slowly add the olive oil.