We have been feeling a suggestion of spring for a few weeks, and it finally feels as if it has arrived. We are embracing it by spending more time outside, taking time to truly smell the flowers and blooms around us, and enjoying more fresh produce. This recipe is a delightful choice for a spring gathering with friends and family. It is delicious, offers a sense of warmth, and provides several very healthy nutrients, as it is packed with vegetables.
Carrot and Potato Casserole
As the carrot and potato casserole bakes, our home fills with the scent of carrots and fennel. We can hardly wait until it’s out of the oven and cooled to sample it before we gather with family and friends. Both carrots and potatoes are a great source of fiber. Carrots also provide vitamin K, calcium, and are a great source of beta-carotene. The peas provide powerful antioxidants and are a great source of vitamin C.
Serves 6 to 8
- 3 large golden russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can peas
- 1 can corn
- Gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 tsp granulated garlic
- 2tsp ground fennel
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Starting with sauce, combine cashews, nutritional yeast, granulated garlic, fennel and mustard, 1 cup of water, and salt and pepper to taste. Process in a blender until smooth and set aside.
- Lightly sauté onion for 3-5 minutes. Layer all ingredients in baking dish, starting with a layer of sauce and finishing with sauce and the breadcrumbs on top.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove lid and increase heat to 425°F for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
This is a comforting dish to welcome in spring, share with others, and offers a sense of reassurance that you’re certainly getting a lot of healthy nutrition. I envision others enjoying this meal around a table with friends, perhaps outdoors, talking, laughing, and making new memories.