08/14/2014 Nutrition & Recipes
You've heard it from mom and many others over the years because it's true: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. To pack your day with power and punch, load up with nutrients first thing in the a.m. Here are five easy recipes to try.
You’ve heard it from mom and many others over the years because it’s true: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. To pack your day with power and punch, load up with nutrients first thing in the a.m. If you’re short on time, try these recipes that will help you start your morning on a high note.
Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Pancakes
Flour-less and hassle-less, these pancakes pack flavor without leaving you feeling heavy or with a tummy ache. Thank you, Amanda Ringnalda, for the recipe.
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Add honey, vanilla, cinnamon, shredded coconut, nuts, flax seed, and/or whatever you like in any combination
In a bowl, mash bananas with a fork (very ripe bananas is best). Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook like you would any other pancake, making sure to grease/spray the pan.
Easy Chia Bliss
This one can’t get any easier or tastier. Now, there’s no excuse not to squeeze in a healthy morning meal. Thank you, Valencia Porter, for the recipe.
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon grade-B maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Berries (blueberries are my favorite)
In a glass jar, combine chia seeds, almond milk, and maple syrup. Stir well and cover. Allow to soak overnight. In the morning, stir in cinnamon and berries, and enjoy.
Coconut Chai Breakfast Kichari
Start your day, the Ayurvedic way. Thank you, Psalm Pollack, for the recipe.
- ½ cup basmati rice, quinoa, millet, or amaranth
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk (or regular grass-fed milk)
- Between ½ - 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 10-12 soaked almonds, peeled
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1-2 slices of ginger
- Few drops of stevia or sweetener of choice
- Optional: 2 tablespoons raisins,
- Optional: 4-6 walnuts, chopped
Heat 1 cup of the milk to a simmer, add rice or quinoa, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and raisins (optional). Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked. Let sit for a few minutes for the rice or quinoa to steam. Uncover, remove cloves, ginger and cinnamon stick, and add soaked almonds and/or chopped walnuts, ghee, or coconut oil and a few drops of stevia or your sweetener of choice. Add some coconut milk on top to cool it down a bit and improve consistency (or add milk to the pan and heat again if you’d prefer your cereal hot).
Fancy Fruit n’ Yogurt Salad
This one is great for breakfast, dessert, or a side dish for a BBQ or brunch.
- Fruit is the obvious main ingredient. Watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, mango, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, peaches, and raspberries work well, but you can use any of your favorites.
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cinnamon to taste
- Topping: Coconut flakes, dried cranberries, slivered almonds
Cut all fruit in bite-size pieces. For the dressing, mix one cup of vanilla yogurt in ratio to about one tablespoon honey. Add cinnamon to taste. Serve on the side or drizzle over the fruit. Top with coconut flakes, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, granola, or anything else you might like to add.
If you’re making this for a brunch with guests, watermelon looks great if you cut it in small triangular wedges and garnish around the fruit salad.
Vegan Banana Blueberry Pancakes
Real pancakes, re-made for the vegan diet. Thank you, Patricia Hacker, for the recipe
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (Try soy or almond)
- 1 cup steel-cut oatmeal
- 2 bananas
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup organic, unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
Puree non-dairy milk and steel cut oats until smooth. Add bananas, flour, salt, and baking powder and blend until all is mixed. Let batter sit for approximately 10 minutes, then stir in blueberries. Cook medium heat, 1/4 cup of batter 5 minutes on each side (use non-stick pan or pan with vegan butter). Wait until you see air bubbles, then flip and cook until golden brown.