This pasta recipe was inspired by our son’s love of purple sweet potatoes. During the winter months, my husband prepared a pureed purple sweet potato soup, and our son really enjoyed it! After that, we decided to incorporate them more into our meals. Purple sweet potatoes are also, of course, incredibly nutritious and full of antioxidants. Purple sweet potatoes are full of vitamin C and fiber, and also have cancer-preventing properties.
Lemon Cashew Pasta with Purple Sweet Potatoes and Asparagus
We have found this dish is also quite tasty served cold as more of a pasta salad.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 cup raw organic cashews
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp mustard
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 garlic cloves, roasted
- Black pepper
- 1 small purple sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 oz of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 oz of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 12 oz box of gluten-free chickpea or brown rice pasta
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the sauce, add to a blender the cashews, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon zest and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Bake sweet potato and asparagus in baking pan for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cook gluten-free pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Add sauce, sweet potatoes, asparagus, oregano and basil to the pasta.
- Cook on low heat until warm.
This delicious dish adds vibrant colors to your plate, while also providing abundant nutrients. I hope you enjoy the delicious scent as all of these bold flavors and herbs come together to create this pasta dish.