When the word "evolution" comes up, you might think back to high school science class and learning about the change within biological populations over billions of years. However, the core meaning of evolution is the gradual development of something growing more complex. That means you have the ability to evolve through the choices you make and the intentions you set … every day.
You have already evolved from the person you were in elementary school. Why stop now that you’re an adult? You can make time to evolve even with the daily responsibilities to work and family. There are small actions you can take throughout your typically busy day to create a more evolved you.
Maybe you don’t see any purpose behind making a concerted and mindful effort towards your own self-evolution. Perhaps your family life is pretty good, you have a house and a car, and your career is on track. Why even bother?
You can achieve unknown levels of satisfaction and contentment when you reach peaks that once seemed unrealistic. When you’re on a path towards self-evolution you’ll be better prepared to handle challenges in life—and all of the turmoil they can present.
Take Time to Reflect
Take some time to reflect on your past. Ask yourself, “How have I evolved?” Maybe you didn’t know how to cook and now everyone runs to the table to taste your meals. Think about how you handle a friend hurting your feelings today compared to when you were in elementary school. Look around your home and office; take stock of your accomplishments. What do they say to you?
Think back on your past and take credit for the work and improvements you have made in your life. This will give you confidence that you can evolve once again.
Learn It, Incorporate It, and Be It
In order to evolve, one must learn. There are aspects of the earth, human existence, and the Universe that you don’t know about. Maybe you have become so caught up in “adulting” that you have neglected learning.
Pinpoint a few areas of interest. Explore those areas and get your creative and curious juices flowing. Here’s how to get started:
1. Make a list: Grab a pencil and paper or use the memo or notes feature on your smartphone to keep track of random ideas or anything you come across that makes you stop and wonder. This is the first step towards exploration and learning.
2. Do something new. Make it a goal to try something new each month. Choose an activity that is unfamiliar and outside of your typical areas of interest. You may find an activity, hobby, or special interest in the most unlikely place. Don’t let the fear of being a newbie stop you. You may connect with someone else on his or her first time as well.
3. Expand from here. Once you find something that interests you, expand upon it. Learn more through research, asking questions, and being active within these circles of thought.
4. Pursue self-mastery. Mastering self should not be confused with perfection. The only perfect thing about self-mastery is knowing that you are perfectly imperfect. This is a wonderful place to be. It leaves room for growth, higher consciousness, and evolution.
To master oneself is to journey into awareness of your thoughts, emotions, reactions, likes and dislikes, subconscious programming, conscious choices, and relationships—all of which are often pushed aside to attend to your daily responsibilities.
While life brings many responsibilities, you must ask yourself how responsible are you when you are ignoring self? You must understand how your soul, mind, and body operates if you hope to make a positive change.
Ask yourself these questions to begin your personal journey towards self-mastery:
- When grocery shopping, do I buy food completely foreign to me or do I buy the same food cooked by my mother and her mother as well?
- When was the last time I read a book on a topic that I knew nothing about?
- Are my friends all of the same groups and circles?
- Do I state opinions based upon what I have heard or what I have researched?
These are simply questions; you may be surprised at the snowball effect of their answers.
Personal evolution of any measure requires self-awareness. Once you begin searching for the answers, hopefully you’ll find the joy of getting to know yourself again. This joy of self-mastery is an evolution of itself; it will grow and stretch out to all of your beautiful veins and layers of interest and growth.
At our signature Perfect Health program you'll experience a week-long wellness immersion that will nourish your mind, body, and spirit and empower you with knowledge and practical tools taht will help you create vibrant health and wellbeing for the rest of your life. Click here for dates and more information.