Wouldn’t it be nice if, when you were born, you were given a GPS programmed with the destination: “MY PURPOSE”? Then, you would always be alerted to the exact turns to make, and know when you are on or off course to your purpose.
That sounds wonderful, considering studies have shown that having a sense of purpose makes you more resilient, supports you in reaching your life goals, and contributes to a longer, happier, and healthier life.
Well, good news! You actually were born with an internal GPS alerting you to when you are on and off course to your purpose; you just haven’t been taught how to use it. Learn how to use your internal GPS (Guided Passion System) to direct you toward your purpose and live a more abundant life.
Finding Your Passion
A passion is simply a topic or activity that:
- You enjoy
- Comes naturally to you
- Energizes and lights you up
- Puts you in flow and makes time seem to fly by when you engage in it
It can also be akin to an obsession—something that you can’t get enough of. It’s where you go in daydreams or what sometimes keeps you awake and excited at night.
The spiritual Law of Dharma (or purpose in life) teaches that you have one thing you do, and one way of doing it—that is a particular need in the world can only be filled by your unique expression. Living your dharma all starts with strategically following your passion. Write a list of the topics and activities where you feel any of the above, and these are your passions.
How Passion Leads to Purpose
You have a built-in GPS mechanism keeping you in alignment with your purpose. Its signals are communicated in bodily sensations telling you when you are headed away from or toward your purpose. This GPS is your own personal compass. Your true passions will guide you on your purpose path by sending your body positive signals.
When you fail to honor your true passions, and start moving away from your purpose, your physical self sends out signs of discomfort such as:
- Low energy or chronic fatigue
- Feeling trapped, having a pit in your stomach, or digestive disorders
- Forgetfulness or inability to concentrate
- Disease, headaches, anxiety, depression, insomnia, addiction
On the contrary, when you follow your passions, and are moving toward your purpose, you experience:
- Lightness, freedom, and joy
- Tingling on your skin
- Abundant energy
- Relaxed muscles
- Glowing health
- Divine timing and synchronicity
- Magnetic attraction and a natural high
The next time you think about or engage in any passion of yours, notice how your body feels as a result. Once you understand how to use your internal GPS, you will know which passions are truly leading you toward your purpose.
Creating a Strategic Plan to Bring Your Purpose to Life
Once you are clear about which passions are leading you towards true purpose, you may feel called to start a purpose-driven passion project that benefits others.
Bringing your purpose to life requires feedback in the real world, and having a solid plan to launch your passion project is vital to the fulfillment of your purpose. Your passion project plan should:
- Be built around a specific niche; or use a unique blend of your passions and skills to serve as the answer to a problem faced by a particular segment of the population
- Have a basic financial plan and structures including a personal savings plan if needed, project expenses, and sales goals.
- Include specific targeted goals including the objectives of the project. How many people do you want to reach? In what amount of time? How do you want the project to affect your audience? How will you reach your audience?
- Have a unique brand message and identity as represented in your online presence
- Present a specific value and voice that is differentiates you from potential competitors in the market
Before starting your passion project you may want to:
- Ask for advice or mentorship from someone who is a step ahead of where you ultimately want to go
- Create a positive mindset and using affirmations to build confidence and let go of your fears and doubts
- Take part-time trainings to develop your passion-based skills in your spare time
- Become a volunteer to gain experience in an area you are passionate about
- Find a champion who supports your desires for finding purpose and consulting them often
- Seek to understand what you care about most, what drives you and what change you want to create in the world. Write it down, have conversations about it, and systematically test your assumptions about what gives you deep purpose
- Deeply understand how your passions and skills are valued by others
Aligning Passion and Purpose
Ultimately, to know if you have aligned your passions with your purpose through your passion project, your answer should be “yes” to these three questions:
- Does my project feel intrinsically natural?
- Is it fun and interesting?
- Are others and myself getting positive results from it?
Remember, if you are of service to the world, but find yourself miserable, then it’s time to re-evaluate how you are expressing your passions and fulfilling your purpose. Each day, ask yourself these soul profile questions:
- Who am I?
- What do I want?
- How can I help others? How can I serve?
Trust the answers, have fun following your body’s GPS, and keep taking strategic steps to bring your passion projects to life and fulfill your purpose. Remember, the world needs the expression of your true passions. Learning to use your awareness to follow your passion in purposeful, practical, and strategic ways is the most powerful way to achieve your Dharma and live your purpose each and every day.
De-stress, reset and reconnect with your inner desires, truth and self at our 3-day meditation & manifestation retreat, Infinite Possibilities, in Palm Springs, California. Learn More.