Breakfast is quite possibly my favorite meal of the day. I enjoy the calm and peacefulness of the early morning hours. It is a time of the day in which I enjoy writing, and feel creatively inspired. I often wake before the sun rises, and like to ease into the day. While we have our usual go-to breakfasts, it’s also fun to venture outside of those from time to time. For us, this usually means waffles.
Vegan, Gluten-Free Waffles with Cranberry Chutney
Photo by April Duckworth.
I find that making waffles creates a familial sense of making memories. I recently heard a colleague describe their childhood memories of making pancakes as a family. It actually encouraged me to prepare these waffles on a chilly morning. As we enter the holiday season, I think there will be many more cozy waffle mornings in our home. This time, we used cranberries as our topping, for a fresh, seasonal twist.
Makes 2 large waffles or 4 small waffles
- 1 cup of oats
- 3 medium to large bananas
- 2 flax eggs
- 1-3 tablespoons water, for waffles, plus ¾ cup water, for chutney
- 2 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (alternatively, you can use ½ cup date or coconut sugar)
*Flax Egg Directions: Flax eggs are simply ground flaxseed mixed with water and soaked for a few minutes. Flax eggs act as a binder and can be used as an egg alternative in any recipe. To make two flax eggs, mix 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons warm water and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- For the chutney, combine cranberries, ¾ cup water, and maple syrup together in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- For the waffles, blend oats, bananas, flax eggs, and 1-3 tablespoons water together in a food processor
- Place into waffle maker for 4- 5 minutes or until golden brown (time can vary depending on the style of waffle maker)
- Serve waffles with cranberry chutney on top.
I hope that your mornings begin with calmness, and that this waffle recipe finds its way into your home this holiday season. Enjoy!