Minestrone soup has always been one of my favorites. There is an abundance of vibrant vegetables in this soup, providing health and warmth as we start off this new year. Many of us set intentions or goals during this time of year.
As my husband and I prepared this soup, we discussed some of our plans for 2022, while also being conscious of the present moment. In those moments, we were preparing this lovely soup to share with family and friends. We were in the kitchen together. We were laughing and creating.
Creamy Tomato Minestrone Soup
This recipe is a variation of minestrone soup and a great option heading into the new year to share with family and friends. This version is perhaps more hearty than our usual minestrone, with the addition of a creamy cashew sauce.
- 3 medium size organic russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsps vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp rubbed sage
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 cans organic cut green beans
- 3-4 cups of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsps granulated garlic
- 1-4 tbsp water
- 8oz gluten-free pasta noodles
- Add potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Ensure that that the water line is about one inch above the potatoes
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a separate pan, sauté the onion, carrots, and vegetable broth on medium heat until onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add sage and thyme and continue to sauté until aromatic, 1-2 minutes, then remove from burner and set aside.
- Once potatoes are tender, add pasta and sautéed vegetables to the saucepan.
- Add green beans, tomatoes, and paprika, and simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to a blender, add cashews, nutritional yeast, mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic and 1 tbsp water and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to blend, one tablespoon at a time.
- Add cashew sauce to the soup pot and cook 5-8 minutes.
- Serve warm.
I hope this variation of minestrone soup is one that you will find its way into your new year's traditions. There’s something very cozy and inviting about a batch of soup shared with loved ones.