Summer is here and that means vacation time for many of us. There are stirrings of excitement and anticipation as plans are made for outdoor activities, backyard barbeques, travel, or even just taking it easy. While this is fun, it can be easy to get swept up in the flurry of activities and begin to feel a bit stressed or scattered. Ideally, you would want to enjoy this time of year from a place of good energy and balance. As you embark on this season marked by change and spontaneity, try including a daily meditation that will help you to stay grounded and aligned with the spirit of summer.
The Spirit of Summer
Every season brings its own unique “personality.” We are familiar with a few of summer’s obvious characteristics (depending on where you live) such as:
Less familiar are the more subtle characteristics that summer evokes such as:
It’s obvious the fiery nature of summer brings with it possibilities for great change. As a result, during this time of year, people may feel a deep desire to seek out new experiences and mix things up a bit. It can be as simple as getting outside more and enjoying the sun. As a kid, you knew this instinctually. Or, maybe you’re ready for a personal shift with regard to some aspect of your life; if so, now is the time to take action no matter how small.
Summer by its very nature is a time of excitement, movement, and energy. There is a lot going on and rather than getting lost in the swirl without direction, rise above and ride the wave of summertime with purpose, lightness, and ease. A direct and powerful way to accomplish this is through the simple practice of meditation.
Adapting to the Season
Everything in life has a cyclical nature, including us. You respond to the cycles of each season in different habitual ways. Foods consumed during winter are no longer appealing during the summer. Your daily routine alters in response to the longer days. Your energy may feel lighter compared to the heaviness of winter. It may be harder to commit to an exercise routine or maybe it has been kicked into high gear. This is the nature of life.
Keeping this in mind, it makes sense that a meditation practice may need to be adjusted in response to the season. Perhaps your meditation may have been pretty consistent up until school let out and now it has been pushed to the wayside. If you have never meditated and pondered its benefits, this is the perfect time to start a new habit!
Easy Summer Meditation Exercise
The great thing about meditation is it can be done anywhere and anytime. Whether you are taking road trips, riding a plane, relaxing at the beach, or staying at home, meditation can be a helpful and consistent companion. Anytime you find yourself getting swept up in chaos, there is always the option to pause and recalibrate. Not only will you feel better, but those around you will reap the benefits as well.
Try this quick and easy 5 to 10 minute meditation exercise to tune in, ground, and reconnect to the summer vibes.
- Find a comfortable position. If you are outside, be sure to find some shade.
- Close your eyes and take 3 to 6 conscious breaths in through your nose and out your mouth (making a whooshing sound if it feels good). Notice the body begin to relax with each exhalation.
- Now imagine you are barefoot and placing your feet deep in the cool sand of Mother Earth. Notice how this feels.
- Allow any worry or stress to make its way down through the body and out through the feet and into the earth. See it dissolving. There is no wrong way to do this. Do this as long as you need to.
- Now, place your attention at your heart center located in the middle of your chest. You can gently place your hand on this area and say the phrase “lightness of being” out loud or silently several times.
- When you feel like you are finished, take in one more deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth and gently open your eyes.
- Proceed with more lightness in your mind and body.
Give yourself the gift of meditation and maximize your experiences this summer. Coming from a place of stillness will enable you to notice and wholly participate in the pleasures, vibrancy, and bounty that characterizes this season. It is my hope that you enjoy these precious few months of summer from a place of lightness and joy.
Happiness and health go hand in hand. Discover Deepak’s holistic plan for a vibrant body, mind, and spirit at Living in Balance, our four-day wellness retreat. Learn More.