Learn about the Law of Attraction and how it relates to your unconscious mind. When you’ve rejected a negative thought or emotion, follow up with this guided meditation to “attract” the positive.
How great would it be if you could call in your soul mate, the perfect person to spend the rest of your life with? Or become wildly successful and financially abundant? What if you could create anything you want and live a purpose-based life of happiness, joy, and total fulfillment? Learning how to manifest what your heart truly desires is something you’d love to master, right? The 2006 documentary The Secret inspired many to start thinking in new ways; did you hope that you, too, could manifest your dreams?
What The Secret didn’t share is that activating the Law of Attraction requires more than inherent desire, an active imagination, and creating a vision board. Positive affirmations don’t work as a standalone. Meaning, a person who is broke isn’t going to manifest his or her rent by sitting around thinking positive thoughts alone. A person who is struggling with a health challenge may not overcome that challenge through positive thoughts by itself.
If manifesting your dream life only required having positive thoughts, then this conversation would be irrelevant. If it were as simple as staying positive, you would have figured it out long ago. This goes much deeper than the surface level conscious mind thinking you’re well-acquainted with. The Law of Attraction is activated based on what’s occurring in the depths of your unconscious mind.
How Does the Law of Attraction Work?
There are several components that all work together to activate the Law of Attraction, and a basic understanding of how it all works will aid you in manifesting your dreams.
Why is it that you attract people, situations, and scenarios that you don’t want? There are a series of recurring themes and patterns that show up in your life. When you see something happening again and again and again, it’s time to redirect your attention and begin to look inside.
Your Conscious Mind
Think of your conscious mind—your “thinking” mind—as the captain of the ship. When the conscious mind tells you to go in a certain direction and your ship slams into the rocks, it means the ship’s crew is going against the captain’s orders. It means there is an incongruence between what the captain is directing and what the crew are doing.
Your Unconscious Mind
The Law of Attraction operates based on your unconscious mind. This means that whatever you’ve got going on inside will determine the things that are brought to you on the outside. The goal is to recognize recurring patterns as quickly as possible, so you can reconcile internal issues and get your ship sailing smoothly again. You see the signs and oftentimes you consciously choose to ignore them. The more you ignore the signs, the stronger they become, though. A big part of cleaning up what you’re attracting externally is to become aware of what you have going on internally.
Understand Your Reality
Since the Law of Attraction is about what you’re creating in your reality, let’s talk about the concept of reality for a moment. Reality is a perception. It’s an interpretation. What one person believes to be real may not be the case for another person. Of course, there are some universal truths that can be agreed upon.
Math says that 1 + 2 = 2. If you talk with one person who loves math and another who hates math, they’ll each have a different perception of math. One person believes math is intriguing and fun, while the other may have a belief that math is terribly frustrating. So, how you perceive and interpret your reality will also have an effect on what you are attracting in your life.
Understand Your Beliefs and Interpretations
It’s important to understand that your beliefs and interpretations also contribute to what you create in your reality because this is the premise of how the Law of Attraction works. Essentially, like attracts like.
If you are an angry person, you will attract other angry people to sit around and talk about the messed-up world. You’ll attract scenarios that perpetuate your anger. If you’re a fearful person, you will likely attract other people who share your fears as well as situations that prove the world isn’t a safe place. If you have a belief that people cannot be trusted, you’ll attract events in your life that demonstrate all the myriad ways in which people are untrustworthy.
Recognize Your Thoughts and Actions
Your thoughts and actions create a result. Everything you think, say, and do will have an effect. Every action generates a force of energy that returns to it in kind and that energy continues to flow back and forth. If you don’t have a clear understanding that this is how things are, then the Law of Attraction makes your reality seem like the world is bleak because you don’t understand how you are attracting the very thing you wish to get away from. You just do your best to keep thinking happy thoughts in the hopes that something good will eventually occur.
When things aren’t going well, the Law of Attraction is something that should be paid attention to because you attract to you energies that are a reflection of what’s going on inside you. To be more specific, what’s going on outside is actually a barometer for how things are on the inside. This is the best time to focus in on what you are attracting to you as a pattern and create a pattern interrupt.
A Guided Meditation to Attract the Good
If you find something you need to let go of, release the limiting belief or negative thoughts or emotions that are attracting this person, situation, or scenario. Through the Law of Attraction, you can resolve the issue in whatever way is best for you and then move into this guided visualization.
- Sit comfortably, close your eyes and begin to take a few slow, deep inhalations and exhalations.
- Bring to your awareness any recurring patterns that have been prevalent in your life and take a few moments to simply observe both the patterns and your reactions to them.
- Next, begin to notice any limiting beliefs or negative thoughts you have that are perpetuating the recurring themes.
- Knowing that the way you perceive and interpret your experiences, along with your current set of beliefs attract more of the same, ask your higher self to help you see the ways in which you may be contributing to your current circumstances.
- Start by bringing one major pattern to mind. Notice all the different times in your life this theme has been present. What was happening in your life at that time? What type of environment were you in?
- What was your mindset during this period? What were the predominant thoughts and beliefs running through your mind? What emotions were present as a result of what was happening? How was your internal reality attracting a similar energy into your external reality?
- In what ways did you express yourself? How did you react to what was occurring? Was there anything in particular that brought this pattern to an end?
- What lessons, gifts, or wisdom are you able to take away from this experience and your reaction to it? What can you learn about the past so that you can activate the Law of Attraction to receive positive experiences moving forward?
- Now, with the intention of clearing out old wounds and beliefs from the past that have magnetized this energy to you, it’s time to let go of what isn’t serving you.
- Imagine bringing down healing energy from God, spirit, source, or the Universe and ask that it fill you up and heal you up from the inside.
- When you are filled with this healing energy, invite forward a visual representation of the person, belief, or pattern that you are ready to dissolve. Imagine flowing this healing energy from your heart to this other being or situation and asking that it, too, be healed.
- Say whatever you need to say to bring this energy to completion, ask for guidance from your higher self, and then imagine lovingly cutting the energetic cord that connects you to this person or situation and see it completely dissolve.
- Bring your awareness to what you would like to manifest or call into your life at this time. Visualize it in the most bright, colorful, exciting, and joy-filled way—as if it’s already happened—and notice how happy you are, see who else is present there with you, take in any important sounds, feel the positive emotions running through you, and steep yourself in gratitude for all the gifts this life has bestowed upon you.
- When you feel this image is as powerful and as real as it can be, take a deep breath in. As you exhale, imagine energizing this visual representation with everything you have. Breathe life into it and give it power.
- Sit for a few more moments to notice the internal shifts within you, allowing the integration to occur. When you’re ready, slowly open your eyes and come back into the room.
The Law of Attraction works in accordance with your unconscious mind, which is where all your beliefs, memories, values, and programming are stored. Doing this visualization uses both your conscious and unconscious minds, bringing them into alignment for the purpose of helping you to actualize your deepest intentions and desires.
Continue to focus on this visualization every day, as you live in a place of gratitude, abundance, and inspiration. Remember that Rome wasn’t built overnight, and that a daily practice is what anchors you to the magical aspects of who you are—bringing about limitless possibilities by manifesting destiny.
Discover Deepak Chopra’s secrets to living a life of effortless abundance at our one-of-a-kind event, Infinite Possibilities. Learn More.