It’s that time of the year—you probably want to make some changes and see some dreams come to fruition. Try using the Chakras to create SMART goals and life-changing aspirations.
It’s that time of the year—you probably want to make some changes and see some dreams come to fruition. Setting goals—and working towards them—can help you create the kind of life you truly want to live.
Charting your own path can feel intimidating, but with the right focus, it can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. By using the Chakras—the energetic centers aligned with physiological, emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of your being—as a starting place, you can create SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant/Realistic, and Time-Bound) goals and life-changing aspirations.
Before diving in, it’s important to first consider all the aspects of your life you’d like to shift. By approaching goal-setting from a holistic perspective, you can identify areas that may overlap and influence each other, and combine goals without getting overwhelmed.
Use the following ideas to start your year on a purposeful, positive, and ambitious note, grounded in intention and limitless in possibility. Start by setting one goal per chakra. Add specific details that make sense for your life and the realms you would most like to change. It’s your beginning to a happy, healthy, and productive new year.
Root Chakra: Get Grounded
When the root chakra, Muladhara, is balanced, you feel safe, secure, and at home in your own skin. Physically located at the toes, feet, and legs, the root chakra connects you to the element of earth.
Connect with nature
- Go for a hike
- Walk on the beach
- Plant a garden
Make your home a place you like to be
- Set up a sacred corner
- Treat yourself to new bedding
- Do a deep clean
Discover what “grounds” you (and do more of it)
- Break out your art supplies
- Call a good friend
- Sit in meditation
Sacral Chakra: Get Creative
When the sacral chakra, Svadistana, is balanced, you feel emotionally connected, in touch with all of your senses, and creatively charged. Physically located at the hips, low back, and lower abdomen, the sacral chakra connects you to the element of water.
Surround yourself with inspiration
- Invest in new art supplies
- Join a community choir
- Free-write in a journal
Get in the water
- Walk near the ocean, river, or lake
- Enjoy a soothing shower
- Join a gym with access to a swimming pool
Drink more liquids
- Drink warm tea in the morning
- Stay hydrated throughout the day
- Close your evening with an Ayurvedic nectar drink
Solar Plexus Chakra: Get Strong
When the solar plexus chakra, Manipura, is balanced, you feel courageous, at ease, and have high self-esteem. Physically located at the abdomen, mid-back, waist, and digestive organs, the solar plexus chakra connects you to the element of fire.
- Get on your yoga mat
- Sign up for that 5K
- Grab a workout buddy to help you stay on track
Set small, realistic goals and follow through
- Write a weekly to-do list
- Email a friend to keep you accountable
- Create a chart for keeping track of achievements
Eat nourishing food
- Try a new restaurant in town
- Cook your favorite meal from scratch
- Meander the stands at a famer’s market and taste something you’ve never tried before
Heart Chakra: Get Compassionate
When the heart chakra, Anahata, is balanced, you feel empathetic, generous, and loving. Physically located at the heart, chest, shoulders, arms, and hands, the heart chakra connects you to the element of air.
Practice random acts of kindness
- Pay for a strangers’ bridge toll
- Bring your neighbor flowers
- Leave a note of encouragement on a car windshield
- Try one of these 99 ways to show kindness
- Send a note of thanks to an inspiring teacher
- Write a list of five people you are glad to have in your life
- Move through some gratitude-inducing yoga poses
- Sit quietly and listen to your breath
- Match the length of your inhales and exhales
- Practice a specialized breathing technique
Throat Chakra: Get Expressive
When the throat chakra, Vishuddha, is balanced, you feel able to communicate with clarity, listen attentively, and be open-minded. Physically located at the neck, throat, ears, jaw, and mouth, the throat chakra connects you to the element of space.
- Start a blog
- Begin a daily journaling practice
- Paint, draw, sculpt, dance, or craft
Share your thoughts with someone
- Call your friend who has moved away
- Text your neighbor for a tea date
- Write a letter to someone who has been on your mind lately
- Stand up for yourself and others
- Set clear personal boundaries
- Say what needs to be said to clear the air with a co-worker
Third Eye Chakra: Get Thoughtful
When the third eye chakra, Ajna, is balanced, you feel intuitive, inspired, and imaginative. Physically located at the forehead, brow, and brain, the third eye chakra connects you to the element of light.
Learn something new
- Sign up for a class at your local community college
- Search for an online course on something that interests you
- Try an upcoming workshop at your yoga studio
Trust the intuitive hints in your body
- Follow your gut instincts for an entire day
- Meditate and listen for a spark of inner wisdom
- Stop and pay attention to what your body needs
- Keep a dream journal next to your bed
- Make a list of five to 10 things you want to be “when you grow up”
- Write out a detailed description of your perfect day
Crown Chakra: Get Blissful
When the crown chakra, Sahasrara, is balanced, you feel connected to all beings and part of something greater. Physically located at the top of the head and one foot above the head, the crown chakra connects you with the universe.
- Start with five to 10 minutes with a timer or app
- Join a weekly meditation group
- Sign up for a retreat
Do something relaxing
- Get a massage
- Schedule an acupuncture treatment
- Spend a whole day in bed with a good book
Follow your passion
- Book an airline ticket to somewhere you’ve been wanting to go
- Volunteer at an organization making change in your community
- Genuinely smile at six people today
Step away from the noise and busyness of daily life at our 6-day meditation and yoga retreat, Seduction of Spirit. Through meditation, yoga and immersion in the Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, bring into crystal clear focus what you’re here to contribute and who you really are. Click here to learn more.