Ayurvedic spa treatments are the crème de la crème of the massage world. They've been tried and tested through the ages in India, not only for relaxation, but for health benefits such as improving circulation, toning the muscles, calming the nerves, lubricating the joints, and increasing mental alertness. They are also used for supreme detoxification, skin health, energy, stamina, and better sleep.
There are several key things that make an Ayurvedic massage different from a regular massage. From the training of the masseuse to the long-lasting effects, here are some of the things that set Ayurvedic massages apart from the rest.
- Healing Arts Masters. The therapists at the Chopra Center are trained in all the traditional massage therapies before going through extensive and on-going Ayurvedic training to perfect their craft.
- Special Ayurvedic Oils. Carefully crafted organic oil blends are infused with Ayurvedic herbs and heated to the perfect temperature to promote relaxation and detoxification. At the right temperature, these special oils enter through the skin and pores, bind to the Ama (toxins), and are released to purify the body.
- Intention. Depending on the treatment, an Ayurvedic therapist focuses on clearing the energy channels in the body, moving and dislodging toxins, and balancing the chakras (energy centers). A simple shift in intention from rubbing the muscles to clearing the physical and energetic pathways can be the difference between a relaxing massage and a life-changing event.
- Sensation. The strokes and movements in Ayurvedic massage are more connected and vigorous, yet never painful. This increases circulation and lymphatic drainage … and feels utterly blissful. Most recipients leave feeling energized and rejuvenated.
- Benefits. Primarily, these unique treatments are intended to make the energy flow properly in the body, clear all physiological and energetic pathways, and reduce stress.
Turn your next massage into an Ayurvedic treatment. Here are the top five most luxurious Ayurvedic spa treatments available.
Odyssey Ayurvedic Massage Treatment
This treatment is named for the blissful journey it takes you through that includes five different Ayurvedic techniques. To start, you can select one or two therapists, and you should try two therapists at least once as four hands are better than two. It begins with Garshana, a dry glove gentle exfoliation that encourages the first stage of detoxification. It stimulates the lymphatic system and prepares your skin to absorb the special oils. Next, comes the Abhyanga, in which your body is covered in warm herbalized oil from scalp to toes with specialized friction strokes designed to move the oil deep into your tissues to loosen and dislodge Ama. Then the slow, deep, penetrating strokes of Vishesh come into play to promote ultimate relaxation.
The treatment is completed with the ancient technique of Marma therapy and chakra balancing, using personalized Dosha-specific essential oils. Marmas are energy points on the body and can be stimulated to awaken your inner energy, calm the mind, and activate healing in different organs and systems in the body.
This multi-level treatment works on the entire system—mental, physical, and energetic. If you seek to heal, balance, and transform opt for this pinnacle of massage treatments.
This uber luxurious 70-minute warm “oil bath” of sorts promotes extreme detoxification. It is performed by two therapists and is truly unforgettable. The Pizichilli offers continuous warm streams of herbalized oil that are rhythmically smoothed into your body. This treatment will warm, lubricate, and nourish your body to enhance circulation, eliminate toxins, and deeply purify, leaving you relaxed and rejuvenated.
Probably the most well-known and highly spiritual experience is the Shirodhara. It is a very meditative and tranquil treatment in which a soothing stream of warm oil is poured over the forehead and onto the “third eye” chakra, your intuitive energetic center. It calms the central nervous system and integrates the mind and body. Many experience visions and restful awareness, where it almost feels like you’re asleep, yet still aware. You have to feel it to believe it.
Gandharva Therapy (gaan-darva)
Sound is a powerful healing tool for the body and mind. The Gandharva uses sound therapy to improve the flow of energy. Along with a full-body warm herbalized oil massage, the therapist incorporates the use of crystal singing bowls to vibrate and transform the cells in your body. This unique treatment interweaves nurturing touch with harmonic sound waves to awaken vitality and blissfulness.
This is the quintessential traditional Ayurvedic treatment, and after experiencing it you'll understand why it's so popular. Abhyanga is a choreographed massage using friction-based strokes and warm Dosha-specific oils. As the oil is massaged into the skin, it penetrates deep into the tissues to loosen toxins at a cellular level. The Abhyanga enhances immune system function, promotes circulation, and creates deep relaxation in the body and mind.
For the grand finale, you can choose the Dosha-specific treatment of your choice including Shirodhara or Marma therapy to leave you feeling totally blissed out.
To learn more or to schedule a spa treatment, visit The Chopra Center Spa online.